underground service

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks1

Can 4" sch 40 pvc conduit be run through an unfinished basement in Connecticut?
Or would it have to be "4 galv pipe?
PO wants to come in with the service conductors unprotected from the hand hole in the side-walk at the front of the building... go through the foundation... go about 60'.... and go through the foundation again to the rear of the building. This would be a cold sequence breaker meter combo. There's No place to put the meter at the front of the building.

Buck Parrish

You can not have unprotected circuits in a building. You would have to be under concrete to with in about 5 ft. of your main breaker.
Their might be other options such as a disco on the utilities pole.

sparks1

underground service

Thanks! Your correct with having the conduit encased in concrete for the installation to be considered outside of the building. I also explained to the Connecticut PO tech that I did not like unprotected conductors situation. I recommended coming in to a 400 amp CB immediately upon entering. He liked that idea better and then from there going 60' through the the basement through the the foundation again to a self-contained meter. There's no pole available...
Can I run 4"PVC sch 40 from the 400CB through the unfinished basement ?
or would it have to be in emt?
Do you think it's possible to get permission from the PO to locate the meter in the basement?

This would save the the customer the cost of me running 350mcm plus conduit 60' from the 400CB in basement to the proposed meter location in the rear of the building.

Last edited:

wawireguy

Is the foundation poured? If not you could run conduit under the slab to the other side. How about running your conduit around the house?

Is the power company ok with metering it on the backside?

sparks1

AIC rating

AIC rating

It's a commercial job right down town in the middle of a city block with no place to park. I just got the OK to put the meter in the basement from the power co.
For convenience I was going to install a 400 amp cold sequence meter combo. This is the meter type the PO CO specs with a 400 amp breaker contained. The breaker is rated 65k AIC The power co estimates 100k of fault available and wants the same rating . Is this something I would have to special order from the manufacture to have the breaker sized 100k AIC or would it be easier to make up the cold sequence arrangement using a 100k AIC rated fuse disconnect and a separate 320A self-contained meter.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Why aren't you asking your inspector these questions? Do you really want to chance failing just because you received incorrect advice from a forum member:-?

There may be local amendments also....

Status
Not open for further replies.