AFCI's and the NJ Rehab Code.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

then you would think that the head of the NJ DCA, who is the ultimate interpreter of the code, wouldn't need to send this memo out to the inspectors and contractors of the state....

but you would be wrong...

code book big and wordy....too hard understand...need memo...:D

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just to further clarify the DCA letter, if you upgraded the electric service or remodeled any existing rooms you would not be required to install AFCI's. However, once you put an addition on, that portion of the residence that would normally have qualified for AFCI protection in new construction will now have to be AFCI protected. In a case where you did not upgrade the electric service but merely put on a small addition and added several circuits to an existing (but older) breaker panel (that may not accept or be listed for AFCI breakers), you will then have to add a sub-panel that does, in order to accommodate the new circuits and the AFCI breakers.

satcom

Does the state have a paper copy of the rehab code for sale?

Yes they do, and we also go over the Rehab codes in the CEU's classes, so everyone knows what is going on, at least they should know, unless they were sleeping thru the classes.

Ken9876

Yes they do, and we also go over the Rehab codes in the CEU's classes, so everyone knows what is going on, at least they should know, unless they were sleeping thru the classes.

None of the CEU classes I've been in were any good. In fact if someone asked a question others would get mad because the class might run longer. When I go to these classes I'm glad I have a full time job.

satcom

None of the CEU classes I've been in were any good. In fact if someone asked a question others would get mad because the class might run longer. When I go to these classes I'm glad I have a full time job.

Sounds like you should find better CEU's classes.

emahler

Nice...I new that too but at least its nice to have a silver bullet for any of those "not in my town" inspectos.
Thanks man....

we are dealing with one of those guys right now....the service is being done as a favor to a good friends kid who is just married and starting out in life...inspector is busting his nuts over AFCI's....but then again this same inspector tried to make Kenny Clamps mandatory in his town....

short side note - sat in a license renewal course, with this particular inspector, when the instructor (who is a sharp guy and typically correct) talked about the Kenny Clamp and how they are not required...so, i simply turned around and looked at said inspector...he was embarrassed....

what can you do?:D

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
and we also go over the Rehab codes in the CEU's classes, so everyone knows what is going on
Except the inspectors who don't go for DCA update courses. In those cases you end up calling down to the DCA to get an interpretations, the jobs get delayed 1-2 weeks until it all gets straightened out, your customer thinks you're an idiot because the inspector can't possibly be wrong, and so on, and so on.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Some of the best classes I've been in are conducted by Suzanne. She's extremely intelligent, she came up through the trade and she's an electrical engineer. She really knows her stuff. If you belong to a contractor's association she is available for CEU presentations (for a fee) and will travel to your association. If you live close enought to Passaic County our association offers CEU's (including the 10 hour NEC update) as part of the annual dues.

Status
Not open for further replies.