code question on MC cable going thru a block wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any one tell me the artical and page(nec) about having to be required to run a rigid pipe thru the wall .I am seeing too many people running MC cable thru an outside wall. I always put my conductors in pipe .even inside cinder block walls I see mc cable ran thru the block to the next room

I thought because if a buiding does shift,(loose bricks,construction,earth quakes ,etc) ,It was always required to be put in a rigid nipple.this may be a NYC code .Not sure.

wbalsam1

Can any one tell me the artical and page(nec) about having to be required to run a rigid pipe thru the wall .I am seeing too many people running MC cable thru an outside wall. I always put my conductors in pipe .even inside cinder block walls I see mc cable ran thru the block to the next room

I would think that if the overall jacket covering the MC that is routed through this outside "damp" or "wet" location is impervious to moisture and the hole through which it is drawn creates no axial, torsional or eccentric forces on the cable, there should be no problem installing it as described.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
I see it done that way all the time, although we sleeve it since an inspector asked for it, but most don't. I thought it might be part of NYC amendments also, or maybe it's just "urban legend code" that has been discussed here in other threads.

I couldn't find it in NYC amendments 2005, that's not to say it's not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.