Septic Drain Pipe for Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lj

I just saw an unusual pipe material used as conduit on a feeder to a 400A safety switch. The 4" corrugated plastic pipe was a septic drain pipe, and the fitting at the switch enclosure was a 4" PVC plumbing elbow. This sure seems to be an NEC violaton, but I cannot point to a reference other than 110.3(A)(1) on "suitable for installation." Is there a better NEC reference that prohibits installations like this, or is it actually acceptable to protect conductors in this manner? Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

raider1

Staff member
Only wiring methods listed in Chapter 3 are permitted for premise wiring systems.

Septic drain pipe is not listed in Chapter 3 so it is not acceptable as a wiring method.

Chris

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I just saw an unusual pipe material used as conduit on a feeder to a 400A safety switch. The 4" corrugated plastic pipe was a septic drain pipe, and the fitting at the switch enclosure was a 4" PVC plumbing elbow.

No picture?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I've seen that corrugated black poly pipe used to sleeve direct burial feeders in rocky soil in my area. Just thinking out loud here....if the conductors are rated for DB and the pipe is used as a sleeve with no emeregence from the ground, is it still a violation?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I've seen that corrugated black poly pipe used to sleeve direct burial feeders in rocky soil in my area. Just thinking out loud here....if the conductors are rated for DB and the pipe is used as a sleeve with no emeregence from the ground, is it still a violation?

sounds dangerous someone could find it in the ground looking for a drain pipe problem and cut through it to rod or tee in.

SAC

What about fishing it through a garden hose before burying it? Not that I'd want to, but "so what"? I'd ask the same question about NM inside - if otherwise properly secured and protected, what if it was run through a garden hose? Does the NEC "care"?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
What about fishing it through a garden hose before burying it? Not that I'd want to, but "so what"? I'd ask the same question about NM inside - if otherwise properly secured and protected, what if it was run through a garden hose? Does the NEC "care"?

Good Point:)

ivsenroute

This one is at a new level.

VentConduit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.