3" PVC C condulet

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

Saw a 3" PVC conduit install that had more than 360 degrees in bends between the panel and a juction box. Conductors to be pulled are (3) 500kcmil and (1) #3 THWN. There is a 3" C condulet installed in the raceway so that there is less than 360 degrees of bend between pull points. I didn't measure it, but that C couldn't have been much more that 14" long. I didn't take the cover off, but I'd wager the C is not stamped for the conductors to be pulled.

So here's my question. Shouldn't that C meet the requirements of 314.28(A)(1) and should be 24" long?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Saw a 3" PVC conduit install that had more than 360 degrees in bends between the panel and a juction box. Conductors to be pulled are (3) 500kcmil and (1) #3 THWN. There is a 3" C condulet installed in the raceway so that there is less than 360 degrees of bend between pull points. I didn't measure it, but that C couldn't have been much more that 14" long. I didn't take the cover off, but I'd wager the C is not stamped for the conductors to be pulled.

So here's my question. Shouldn't that C meet the requirements of 314.28(A)(1) and should be 24" long?

In order for a that condulet to qualify as a pull point the answer is yes, it's required to be sized just like a pull box with the 8X dimension. The manufacturer can allow less than 8X if it prints the maximum conductor size within the conduit body. I'd bet a huge sum of money that when removing the cover you will find that the manufacturer's maximum conductor size if nowhere near 500 kcmil.

iwire

Staff member
I'd bet a huge sum of money that when removing the cover you will find that the manufacturer's maximum conductor size if nowhere near 500 kcmil.

Or if says 500s it will be worthless like Two 500s etc.

Besides ..... do you really want to close that up eek.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Or if says 500s it will be worthless like Two 500s etc.

Besides ..... do you really want to close that up eek.

I see this everyday in the field. Long runs with 6,7 or 8-90's and a C condulet in the middle to pull in 500 kcmil conductors. Someone usually says that they're going to pull through the condulet so it's only there to help get the snake and the rope in and 9 times out of ten they successful. So much for the code however. :roll:

hardworkingstiff

I see this everyday in the field. Long runs with 6,7 or 8-90's and a C condulet in the middle to pull in 500 kcmil conductors. Someone usually says that they're going to pull through the condulet so it's only there to help get the snake and the rope in and 9 times out of ten they successful. So much for the code however. :roll:

Yea, it's pretty amazing what you can do with a tugger, huh? :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yea, it's pretty amazing what you can do with a tugger, huh? :)

Yup and that's the argument you'll get when you ask why you're not installing large pull boxes. Hmmm, C condulet cost=cheap, installation time=two minutes, large pull box cost=expensive, installtion time=one hour +, might require two men based on size. If you don't mind installing a violation this one is a no-brainer.

hardworkingstiff

Yup and that's the argument you'll get when you ask why you're not installing large pull boxes. Hmmm, C condulet cost=cheap, installation time=two minutes, large pull box cost=expensive, installtion time=one hour +, might require two men based on size. If you don't mind installing a violation this one is a no-brainer.

Yea, GC is a friend (not business friend) and the EC is giving him some problems. Looked the job over and saw that. Don't know if the inspector will catch it. We'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.