is pulse start MH ballast required now??

Status
Not open for further replies.

w_d_anderson

A lighting manufacturer is saying that there is "CODE/Regulation" change that requires MH ballast to be pulse start now. Does anybody know more about this. Can 400W T15 MH lamps which don't require pulse start be used on a pulse start MH Ballast. Thanks

lefty

lamps

lamps

I believe the older style MH 400 will not work in the pulse start fixtures, the reason is the base hase a recessed indent in the bottom of it, which causes the old style not to make contact, thus the lamp will not light. The pulse start have the long tab on the base which engages and makes contact, thus the lamp will start. I hope this is understandable to you.

Lefty.,

You are close to that answer however let me add few more tibbits

to OP you have to be aware there is open and enclosed lamp verison and with enclosed lamp verison will use the standard socket while the open verison will have specal concat point socket and it will typically show pink in colour so you can not able get standard enclosed bulb in open rated luminaire socket due it will not lit up.

Also I will give you a head up as well you can not interchange between Pulse and Probe start verison if you install the probe start bulb in pulse start system you will simply destory the interal starting device and the pulse start can able lit it off but go the other way around it will not lit up no matter what.

The 400 watts probe start bulb and ballast still on market but seems like the pluse start is getting super common and what more with pulse start the bulb life somehow last longer than plain jane probe start espcally this is true on horzontal postion .

Merci,Marc

peter d

I've noticed that the econolight catalog has phased out all its probe start products. I'm assuming this has to do with said legislation.

I've noticed that the econolight catalog has phased out all its probe start products. I'm assuming this has to do with said legislation.

I did notice that as well but for other manufacter I think they are gradually phase out the probe start verison one way or other but that getting limited with probe start and I don't really think they can improve it anymore with old probe start system so the pulse start is the way to go due higher lumens per watt over probe start plus longer life and better colour retation.

Merci.
Marc

emahler

400W MH - BT28 vs. ED28

400W MH - BT28 vs. ED28

I think I know the answer, but I'm just guessing...

went to change some pole lights...fixtures are approximately 15 yrs old...

400W metal halide compact envelope...

Supplier didn't have ED28 lamps, so they sent us BT28 lamps...

replaced 1st fixture with BT28, didn't light...ok, maybe a ballast

moved on to 2nd fixture, replaced with BT28...again, no light...hmmm...

tried 3rd fixture, still no light with the BT28....something ain't right...

had 2 ED28 lamps on the bucket truck, took the BT28 out of the 3rd fixture, installed the ED28....lit right up...

I noticed that the Sylvania BT28's were labeled as 'Pulse Start', I'm assuming that the ED28's are not pulse start....and due to the age of the fixtures, the ballasts won't drive a pulse start lamp....

anyone know anything about this?

If your ballast do not have ingitor it will not lit up pulse start bulbs at all and also look at the bulb number useally a sufix location it will typically say BT28 175WMH BU PS so BT28 is your bulb size next number is wattage and type next is BU mean base up only if say U mean any burning postion and last is PS mean pulse start the standard MH's do not have PS label on the end of the bulb numbers.

But with older luminaires they are typically stright probe start so I keep a common probe start bulb on hand so in case it is not a pulse start verison if probe start do lit up then you have standard set up or pulse start ingitor is shot so you have to look little closer and also ballast ANSI number it kinda a good giveaway.

If ingitor is shot you can replace the ingitor but how long other stuff useally last that is anybody guess so I useally just get the whole kit and be done with it one shot.

P.S. with shorted capaitor this is true in 400 watter and larger it will stay very dim while open capaitor it will NOT lit up no matter what due the capitor useally wired in series with bulb circuit { aka secondary side }

Merci,Marc

emahler

yeah...i just realized i posted here instead of starting a thread...sorry about that...

it is the Pulse Start that is the issue...Sylvania's M400/U/BT28 and Philips M400/U/ED28 both work with an M59 ballast....

the lamps they sent were the M400/PS/U/BT28 and they operate of a M155(?) ballast...

different animal...

thanks

Emahler.,

Oui { yes } the M155 ballast will work with 400 watt PS bulb while the standard 400 watt MH bulb will work with plain jane ballast { M59 some case H33 so watch out on that one }( if on H33 it will lit up nice on mild tempture but very cold tempture it will not lit up due the open circuit voltage is lower than M59 is { apx 220 volts vs 250 - 290 for MH's }

Merci,Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.