I was just wondering???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggonza

If I decided to use sealtite as my EGC. And I followed all the applicable codes that would allow it to be used. Does it still count as effectively bonded if I use the plastic gasket that goes between the connector and the box. Or is proper bonding achieved through the locknut being wrenchtight on the threaded portion. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

JohnJ0906

If I decided to use sealtite as my EGC. And I followed all the applicable codes that would allow it to be used. Does it still count as effectively bonded if I use the plastic gasket that goes between the connector and the box. Or is proper bonding achieved through the locknut being wrenchtight on the threaded portion. Any info would be helpful, thanks.
Since listed fittings are part of the requirements of 250.118(6), and that gasket is part of the listed fitting, I would say that, yes, it is effectively bonded.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would think that if you installed this fitting on a well painted piece of equipment even if you removed the gasket only the locknut would be making clean metal surface contact anyway. So in some instances removing the gasket would have no affect on bonding.

LJSMITH1

The gasket is part of the listing process and it does not affect the bonding of the fitting to the enclosure. The gasket is required to meet the raintight or liquidtight requirements.

You still are required to scrape paint from the inside surface around the KO to ensure a proper electrical bond. Many people don't bother with that step, but it is the correct way to install any fitting with a locknut.

wawireguy

Why would you want to use sealtite as the EGC? How much money are you really saving. The fact that you're asking about it tells me that you have questions about the reliability of it being a EGC.

ggonza

I don't think I ever would use it as an an egc. Being as I could only save a small amount of one piece of #12. And I wouldn't forgo the gasket either.The question was more aimed at the listing of the sealtite connector. I'm still not sure how to look that up. But say if this application fell under the rules of 250.97, in ex. 3 it states " Fittings with shoulders that seat firmly against the box or cabinet". So thats where my confusion came in. If the shoulders need to "seat firmly" against the enclosure, Is that also intended as part of the bond? Should we be scraping both sides? I see in ex. 4 it states listed fittings. So if anyone could point me in that direction that would be great. Thanks for your comments and help.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the locknut is properly installed then no scraping of the painted metal is required. IMO the locknut should always be tightened when using painted enclosures as opposed to turning the fitting to tighten it.

SEO

Use caution where you use FMC and LFMC for your grounding conductor. There may be local rules that disallow the use of them. The State or Michigan for one.

cadpoint

Use caution where you use FMC and LFMC for your grounding conductor. There may be local rules that disallow the use of them. The State or Michigan for one.

WOW, never hear that, but then the application can happen but with today's demands why even worry and not have a wire for it in there!

I'm still not sure how to look that up

In the upper 300's use the two terms FMC and LFMC and you can read all about it. In the Index, I believe its under conduits. (look'n at an old Code book) :)

ggonza

Yeah I know how to look up the requirements for the raceways. I meant how do you look up the UL listings for the connectors.

ggonza

thanks for the links. The UL website can be a little frustrating to get what you're looking for though. At least for me. All I can assume is that the bonding takes place at the locknut and threads being electrically continous through to the enclosure. Although I wish it said that specifically somewhere. If it does please let me know. I work with a journeyman that insists I put bond bushings on any flex or sealtite regardless of the circumstances.

benaround

thanks for the links. The UL website can be a little frustrating to get what you're looking for though. At least for me. All I can assume is that the bonding takes place at the locknut and threads being electrically continous through to the enclosure. Although I wish it said that specifically somewhere. If it does please let me know. I work with a journeyman that insists I put bond bushings on any flex or sealtite regardless of the circumstances.

Keep in mind that FMC and LFMC ( flex and sealtight ) can only be used for grounding on

circuits of 20 amps or less, above that it needs a wire type EGC, per 250.118.

So, on circuits over 20 amps, using bond bushings on FMC or LFMC is a complete waste of

your time and money. Would the J-Man have you put bond bushings on PVC fittings ? I

don't think so, it is not part of the bonding path and neither is FMC or LFMC over 20 amps.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
thanks for the links. The UL website can be a little frustrating to get what you're looking for though. At least for me. ...
As far as finding information in the UL White Book, I like to start here unless I know exactly what I am looking for. You just enter the code section that applies to what you are looking for and the search will return the White Book sections that apply to that code section.

ggonza

thanks for the other link, that is pretty helpful. yes I am aware when flex or sealtite can be used for an egc. But you can't potty train an old dog. This guy will seriously pull an "egc" on service entrance conductors so that everything will get "bonded properly". The concept of parralleling 400 kcmil neutrals with a 4/0 doesn't seem to bother him. oh well we're all gonna die someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.