277 volt outlet on a residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

DARUSA

I'm sorry I have to disagree. If the 'corridor' is part of the residential section aka 'dwelling unit' then it is including. To me a corridor is just another name for a hallway. We don't break up 'dwelling unit/residential buildings to exclude hallways/corridors. The term 'dwelling unit' is all encompasing of hallways/corridors,sleeping, eating etc..

To install that 277 outlet in the residential section is a code violation. And no, (C) does not give any exception for doing this in dwelling unit.

Wath about lights? I know a boxe on the ceiling is an outlet but this mean .I can not supply 277 to the corridor lights ?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'm sorry I have to disagree. If the 'corridor' is part of the residential section aka 'dwelling unit' then it is including. To me a corridor is just another name for a hallway. We don't break up 'dwelling unit/residential buildings to exclude hallways/corridors. The term 'dwelling unit' is all encompasing of hallways/corridors,sleeping, eating etc..

To install that 277 outlet in the residential section is a code violation. And no, (C) does not give any exception for doing this in dwelling unit.
You are confusing hallways within units, with hallways exterior to and/or between units.

DARUSA

Using your logic 210.52 apply to the building corridor outside of the apartment and I thought it was not applied to that section of a building:roll:

Has nothing to do with the corridor being in a residential or commercial "section". For instance, in a hotel, the entire building is commercial.

What matters is to whom it is accessible. If accessible by residents or guests of more than one dwelling unit, guest room or suite, or by the general public, the requirement is relinquished.

Sounds more like an AHJ call. I can see your point to some degree, However I have seen jobs here where they had an aparment complex and the hallways/corridors lights had to be 120. So without actually seeing the job, and just going off the what the OP says (calling it the residential section) then the code does not allow 277 in dwelling units.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Sounds more like an AHJ call. I can see your point to some degree, However I have seen jobs here where they had an aparment complex and the hallways/corridors lights had to be 120. So without actually seeing the job, and just going off the what the OP says (calling it the residential section) then the code does not allow 277 in dwelling units.
Could also be a misinterpretation by the AHJ... ;)

Note the requirement states, "In dwelling units and guest rooms or guest suites of hotels, motels, and similar occupancies..."

It does not refer to two-family or multi-family dwelling units as a whole.

A hallway, corridor, or similar that is adjacent to but not IN a dwelling unit is not subject to the requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.