kitchen island receptacles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacomafc

I had a electrical inspector tell me today that the kitchen island required 2 gfci receptacles because it has a sink in it. I was always under the usumption that all you need in one gfci no matter what. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Take a look at 210.52(C)(4) and see if you don't agree with him after reading that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes is can be one or two depending on the information that Augie posted. To me the requirement seems rather silly. If only one is required then you have to go to that side of the island to use an electrical appliance so why should it matter how big the sink/stove top, etc. is?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
since you are enjoying your ride. here's the reference:
(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1), (C)(2), and (C)(3).

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If only one is required then you have to go to that side of the island to use an electrical appliance so why should it matter how big the sink/stove top, etc. is?
Not sure I understand. If the sink/stove is big enough, then you need a receptacle on both sides. That prevents the homeowner from putting an appliance on one side, and having to reaching the cord over the sink/stove, if the only receptacle is on the other side. But if there is enough room behind the sink/stove to be able to run the cord from one side of the countertop to the other, then there is no danger of getting the cord wet or burned.

Occupation
Inspector
since you are enjoying your ride. here's the reference:
(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1), (C)(2), and (C)(3).

If the Island counter top is greater than 12" from the back of the sink to the edge of the counter top then it would not count as a separate space so only one receptacle would be required. Is this just one of those myths?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It was the same requirement as the counters, then they changed it to "you only needed one no matter the size" and now they've changed it to what Gus quoted.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not sure I understand. If the sink/stove is big enough, then you need a receptacle on both sides. That prevents the homeowner from putting an appliance on one side, and having to reaching the cord over the sink/stove, if the only receptacle is on the other side. But if there is enough room behind the sink/stove to be able to run the cord from one side of the countertop to the other, then there is no danger of getting the cord wet or burned.

IMO if the receptacle is on the right side then it's likely that you'll use it on the right side so why do we now need on on the left side as well? I'm just opining that most appliances with 2' cord won't be run across the sink or the stovetop in the first place.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
If the Island counter top is greater than 12" from the back of the sink to the edge of the counter top then it would not count as a separate space so only one receptacle would be required. Is this just one of those myths?
I would say that is true when you read all 210.52(C), especially with the 08 changes.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
IMO if the receptacle is on the right side then it's likely that you'll use it on the right side so why do we now need on on the left side as well? I'm just opining that most appliances with 2' cord won't be run across the sink or the stovetop in the first place.

The idea behind recept placement has always been to try and eliminate the use of extension cords. I guess if you had something already on the right side you may need to place the appliance on the left side.

Rob
Married people need at least 2

Left side the husband, right side the wife.

See, the NEC, babysits (TR), mediates (2/island countertop), and soon coming to us.....more good stuff. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The idea behind recept placement has always been to try and eliminate the use of extension cords. I guess if you had something already on the right side you may need to place the appliance on the left side.

I understand the extension cord thing, but if you have the 12" in front of the appliance then you'll only need one receptacle so to me the logic is worthless. If I now only have 11" am I all of sudden going to drag an extension cord across the island?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I understand the extension cord thing, but if you have the 12" in front of the appliance then you'll only need one receptacle so to me the logic is worthless. If I now only have 11" am I all of sudden going to drag an extension cord across the island?

Hey I don't write 'em, I only enforce 'em. If I wrote it, I think I would make it a little more cut and dry something along the lines of "only one receptacle is required, unless a countertop appliance is installed, then one on each side of the appliance is required."

Smart guys will only make that space 11 3/4 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.