Estimates

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

Does anyone carry a Laptop and printer in their vehicle when giving estimates to customers? Just curious to see who does and how does it work for you?

jimmyglen

I have thought about this and decided against it

there are two schools of thought on the "on the spot" estimate

one is that you can close the job right then and there - and in this case ot would be smaller jobs so you could just hand write the estimate if you wanted to (on a contract form)

the other is to mail the estimate the next day (e-mail or fax etc)
this allows you to cover the "oh i forgot about that" items that you always remember when you drive away

Med jobs or larger jobs should always be sent the next day - I have a tendency to under bid when I feel rushed to close the sale

how are you doing it now - does it work?

Sparky555

I tried it for awhile and the printer almost dried up from lack of use. It seemed like a good idea at the time but they aren't in the van any more.

CopperTone

I used to do it in the van - became a burden actually - estimating and billing from the computer in the van - I like emailing a quote and getting the response in writing from the customer in the form of a reply email. For small jobs that is a legal enough document for us to do the work.
It also gives me time to think through the job and not forget anything and to check stock prices.

The paperwork from the day comes to the office and it all gets entered into the computer in the office - esitmates, jobs performed, checks in the mail, checks from service work that day -

For a one man shop -it may be easier to have the computer and printer in the truck though - it all comes down to how you like to run things.

Kdog76

Does anyone carry a Laptop and printer in their vehicle when giving estimates to customers? Just curious to see who does and how does it work for you?

I've already got too much stuff as it is. However, I always keep a carbon copy work order / customer agreement with lien notice & a separate carbon copy receipt book. Estimates : if I give a verbal price & they want it in writing I will mail it to them at MY convenience. If I don't give it verbally then I still mail it to them at MY convenience.
I guess a never had a REAL need to do the whole laptop / printer stuff. I looked it into it. It can be done. If it is worth it or not is up to you.

chris1971

estimates

estimates

I typically look at a job then go back to the shop and e-mail an estimate to the customer.

Teaspoon

I like to look at the job,Take a few notes. Go back to the office, Set down at the computer, an work up Materials pricing and labor . Then call or E-mail the Bid.
Gives me a chance to think things over more carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.