Why do they make them, if its illegal to use them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just nitpicking a little. NEC 410.90 states that lampholders are for lamps only, yet I still see alot of receptacle adapters screwed into these light fixtures. I notice the NEC forces the manufactures to make vening machines with gfcis on their plugs NEC 422.51, but they do not forbid the making of the receptacle adapters when they are illegal to use. What do you think??

e57

These things????
keyless_socket_adapter_758b.jpg

Good point - I don't know....

JFletcher

Wasn't that the way some receptacles were done like 80-90 years ago? I know I've seen a picture of it somewhere. I would guess those receptacle adapters are for those old installations still in use.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Just nitpicking a little. NEC 410.90 states that lampholders are for lamps only, yet I still see alot of receptacle adapters screwed into these light fixtures. I notice the NEC forces the manufactures to make vening machines with gfcis on their plugs NEC 422.51, but they do not forbid the making of the receptacle adapters when they are illegal to use. What do you think??

The NEC controls the installation of screw-shell lampholders as lampholders only... it does not control the use of them.

Additionally, there are a few AHJ that have not adopted the NEC.

e57

yes those 'things'. and why is it you don't know?? your a 'senior member' on the mikeholt forum. Your'e suppose to have the answers. ;)
Did you vote on "is this device grounded?"???? Go do that - then we'll talk... :cool: I can tell you why the sky is blue - and in some cases orange.... Right off the top of my head... Why they still have all that stuff still on the shelves - no clue..... However, I will say that it is a device outside of premise wiring and not subject to the NEC - it would be "listed" if it were "listed". ;) (See UL 496, and 498)

Did you vote on "is this device grounded?"???? Go do that - then we'll talk... :cool: I can tell you why the sky is blue - and in some cases orange.... Right off the top of my head... Why they still have all that stuff still on the shelves - no clue..... However, I will say that it is a device outside of premise wiring and not subject to the NEC - it would be "listed" if it were "listed". ;) (See UL 496, and 498)

well the vending machines plugs are 'outside of the premise wiring' and yet they made it subject to the NEC so why not this one. lol Ill go check out the vote on your topic too. ;)

rosie06

They used to make a socket with 2 straight blade

They used to make a socket with 2 straight blade

It had two straight blade on a plastic screwshell that went right into a recept

rwreuter

The NEC controls the installation of screw-shell lampholders as lampholders only... it does not control the use of them.

Additionally, there are a few AHJ that have not adopted the NEC.

Also, keep in mind that the NEC doesn't control the manufacture of products.

Jim W in Tampa

Simply put they will make anything that will sell. If not misused i don't see any real danger.
Problem is the shell might have to small of a wire to handle a 15 or 20 amp load.

kwired

Electron manager
I have one of those adapters in the case with my circuit tracer, makes it easy to connect the transmitter to a lamp socket.

Here is an old toaster with an Edison plug on it. Back in the day when electricity was first installed it was primarily for lighting. When appliances came out the electric companies were charging two rates for electricity. The lighting was a lower rate and the high current appliances were a higher rate. The advent of the cheater plug was born. This was so the toaster could be connected to the light socket and utilize the lower billing rate on that circuit.

light%20fitting%20plug%20with%20toaster.jpg

Here is an old toaster with an Edison plug on it. Back in the day when electricity was first installed it was primarily for lighting. When appliances came out the electric companies were charging two rates for electricity. The lighting was a lower rate and the high current appliances were a higher rate. The advent of the cheater plug was born. This was so the toaster could be connected to the light socket and utilize the lower billing rate on that circuit.

light%20fitting%20plug%20with%20toaster.jpg

wow, where do you find these gems!! Thats a nice antique, I wonder how much would it pull on EBAY!! :)

e57

well the vending machines plugs are 'outside of the premise wiring' and yet they made it subject to the NEC so why not this one. lol Ill go check out the vote on your topic too. ;)
I think this is guy responsible for the vending machine construction spec's - Since I think the NEC pretty much steers clear of whats plugged in - unless you really have some back up with incomprehensible science, a weighty title or a huge brown envelope.... Maybe he had it all?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.