What to do with an electrical panel behind a bathroom sink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

univolt

Hi Guys,

I was called this week to look at putting in a whole house generator. when we went to look at the panel the customer showed me to the bathroom. in the wall, behind a 2'x4' slinding glass door with the sink infront of that was the 200amp panel. Now I don't mind the challenge, but other than moving the panel into a unfinished part of the basement is their any other way of fixing this situation?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I suspect you will have to move the panel. Is it possible to turn the panel to face the other side of the wall? It's hard to give info without knowing more info. Moving it to the basement may be the best alternative you have.

univolt

I was hoping for a way around that answer (code compliant), but you are right that was the only answer I could come up with. The other side of the wall is the drive way.

wbalsam1

this is pretty simple. they can pay you to move the panel, or they can pay a plumber to move the sink.

If the plumber removes the basin, it'll no longer be defined as a "bathroom", but it will create it's own set of problems and inconveniences. I say move the panel. :)

77naws

I have stumbled upon a similar problem. A friend of mine suggested that Installing a main breaker disconnect outside would make it right with code 230.70. Any thoughts?

e57

The EASY WAY:
Make the panel a junction box, gut it - and extend all of the feeders and branch circuits someplace else.... All you need to do is move the breakers not the wire.... Leave the panel enclosure in place, get some 16ga sheet metal cut to size add holes to hole it on...Use galvy and paint it any color you like. Put a 2" nipple through the wall out the back into a new panel. Or if you don't like it in the driveway, use a few 1 1/4" or larger conduits to relocate all the circuits further away somewhere else... (If you get creative with #10 THHN/WN and MWBC's, in an 1 1/4" EMT - thats 18 20A MWBC's if you stuff it... :roll:) With the old panel now just a junction box, and the new panel set - Get even more creative and have a medicine cabinet built around it...

Or the hard way, you could do it in several junction boxes depending on access... One or two below - in a crawl above or below - or both, one outside, a few circuits in all the other boxes around the bathroom - in the lights, in the GFI you'll need at the sink.... Use 4 11/16 boxes and pack them to the max... A few circuits in from the new panel location - a few out to existing circuits.

gndrod

I believe the idea the OP has is that if he puts a disconnect between the meter and main panel, he will satisify 230.70(2).

Good ideas but.... Please take a look at IRC E3305.1d Equipment and Locations- Footnote d that additionally defines the NEC 230.70(A)(2) "Panelboards, service equipment, and similar enclosures shall not be located in bathrooms, toilet rooms and clothes closets."

I would not take a gutted 'J-box' to the bank for compliance as it requires accessibility and a cover flush within 1/4" of the finished wall surface. [314.15],[312.3] Also consider the cabinet/enclosure cover over a bathroom sink being in a damp or wet location as possibly requiring a weatherproof configuration.[312.2] The comments are examples of what may be questioned by the AHJ for an approved installation. rbj

gndrod

I suspect you will have to move the panel. Is it possible to turn the panel to face the other side of the wall? It's hard to give info without knowing more info. Moving it to the basement may be the best alternative you have.

I agree. With the service on an exterior wall along side the driveway, I believe the same as Dennis suggests as the better solution. The meter main converted to a combination would be a viable solution sans AHJ approval. Questions (Drive/walkway width clearance for 36" frontal work space?) arise to the complexity of modification allowing the genset/XfrSwitch enclosure arrangement installation alongside the Meter-Combination. What are some of the physical constraints to overcome making a rotated box change-out?) rbj

e57

I would not take a gutted 'J-box' to the bank for compliance as it requires accessibility and a cover flush within 1/4" of the finished wall surface. [314.15],[312.3]
Much like the same enclosure that the panel-board was in.... :roll: But no longer requiring work-space - or ready accessibility.

Also consider the cabinet/enclosure cover over a bathroom sink being in a damp or wet location as possibly requiring a weatherproof configuration.[312.2] The comments are examples of what may be questioned by the AHJ for an approved installation. rbj
"Over a sink" not 'in a shower'... Could you elaborate on why an enclosure for a panel board would not be accepted as a junction box?

kwired

Electron manager
Much like the same enclosure that the panel-board was in.... :roll: But no longer requiring work-space - or ready accessibility.

"Over a sink" not 'in a shower'... Could you elaborate on why an enclosure for a panel board would not be accepted as a junction box?

I was going to ask if weather proof switch and receptacle covers are what he installs in these areas

gndrod

The implication of my two part comment is about what the AHJ will permit. What code would satisfy compliance for an answer? rbj

Status
Not open for further replies.