Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No, the neutral is not bonded to a GEC or EGC after the service equipment.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Note the key word AFTER to service equipment. The equipment ground on an isolated circuit must eventually bond back to the grounded conductor.
250.146(D) allows you to route the EGC back to the service point.

K2X

I happen to be on the Transformer chapter in my second year IEC class. There is a paragraph about "clean power" transformers, (for sensitive electronic equipment), where the neutral is created on the secondary side. The diagram shows one end of the secondary winding being grounded.

I also just finished working on an Isolated panel in an operating room and I am also familiar with the ungrounded system.

Maybe they can go either way??

hardworkingstiff

In an isolated circuit, is the neutral bonded to ground.

I happen to be on the Transformer chapter in my second year IEC class. There is a paragraph about "clean power" transformers, (for sensitive electronic equipment), where the neutral is created on the secondary side. The diagram shows one end of the secondary winding being grounded.

I also just finished working on an Isolated panel in an operating room and I am also familiar with the ungrounded system.

Maybe they can go either way??

Seems to me that you are talking about 2 different things. 1 is "clean power" which in my mind is not isolated since one side of the secondary is grounded to create a neutral and the other is an "isolated panel" in a hospital OR which the power is completely isolated in that one side of the trasformer secondary is not grounded.

erickench

No the neutral is not bonded. What happens is that the EGC is separate and passes through all raceways and enclosures without a bonding connection all the way back to the service.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Rod, welcome to the forum! :)

In an isolated circuit, is the neutral bonded to ground.
What do you mean by "isolated" circuit? There are several possibilities:

Isolated as in powered through an isolation transformer (usually 1:1)?

Isolated as in an individual or dedicated circuit, supplying only one load?

Isolated as in an Isolated ground circuit, usually spec'ed for POS terminals.

Or something else entirely? That's why you've gotten the varying responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.