kitchen island receptacles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I had a electrical inspector tell me today that the kitchen island required 2 gfci receptacles because it has a sink in it. I was always under the usumption that all you need in one gfci no matter what.

Is your gripe that two RECEPTACLEs are required, or two GFCI's? I think in many cases, you'll need two receptacles but it is possible you'd need only one. But I see no rule that says both small appliance circuits must go to the island. So install one GFCI and if a second receptacle is required protect it from the LOAD side of the first GFCI.

rwreuter

Is your gripe that two RECEPTACLEs are required, or two GFCI's? I think in many cases, you'll need two receptacles but it is possible you'd need only one. But I see no rule that says both small appliance circuits must go to the island. So install one GFCI and if a second receptacle is required protect it from the LOAD side of the first GFCI.

have had to do that when some inspector req'd and additional one (even though it wasn't required). it is easier and cheaper just to put one in than fight about it.

mthead

kitchen island receptacles

kitchen island receptacles

There is nothing like a "good ol' bit 'a' talkin' 'bout required kitchen island recepts[and throw in end of peninsula required now before someone else brings it up] to send me to my kitchen cabinet in search of the Pepto B.
Ya know what they say-"You can beat an old horse in the water but a horseshoe must be lead".
Wait a minute- I believe I'm mixing up my famous old sayings.
Oh thats right-I'm mixing them up because the best story[and talk about an urban legend that feeds on itself] that I constantly presented with by otherwise normal ,level headed electricians -and it is thrown out when this particular requirement comes up-is the one where they say...,"Don't worry ...The homeowner said she'd write a letter saying it's OK.She doesn't want it.Her sister Mabel,from down the block did that last year and it was no problem".
It was too many Mabels that wore me out as an electrician but it has become apparent that there is no escaping Mabel from down the block...,but you can call me a boy named Sue,eh?

M. D.

There is nothing like a "good ol' bit 'a' talkin' 'bout required kitchen island recepts[and throw in end of peninsula required now before someone else brings it up] to send me to my kitchen cabinet in search of the Pepto B......................

blink ,.. blink,... blink ,.. :confused:,.. It is me ,I'm sure ,.but you can lead this horse to water ,.. but he still doesn't have a clue as to what that post is about :)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
blink ,.. blink,... blink ,.. :confused:,.. It is me ,I'm sure ,.but you can lead this horse to water ,.. but he still doesn't have a clue as to what that post is about :)

The posts tend to get a little more interesting after 4:00 when some of the guys have had time to sit down and have a couple of beers.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.