Panels Behind Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in a college electrical shop. My coworkers and I are trying to determine if the panel installation (for two panels) in a new building on our campus are technically within the code. Rough-in is not finished yet. One panel is located in a copier room. The door swings into the room directly in front of the panel. The only way to secure the area to safely work in this panel will be to close and lock the door. This means that the only means of egress will be to open the door toward the panel. Does this violate 110.26 "permit ... safe operation and maintenance", 110.26 (A) (1) (is the door considered to be an obstruction in the working space), and/or 110.26 (C) (1) the question of egress through a door that must be opened toward the panel as noted above. We have similar questions about the other panel. It is located in a hallway where a fire door swings in front of the panel. Egress for the electrician working on this panel is not a problem, but the other questions apply as with the first. We would be securing a fire door thereby cutting off a means of egress for building occupants (not their only means and this is on the first floor). Your thoughts? Thank you.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Video rental stores seem to have a knack for doing that.

In my experience, almost every store has a knack for it. But gas stations/deli marts seem to be the worst over here, they never seem to have enough room for storage...:roll:

Like everyone else, I also try to put panels behind doors if I think there may be a problem with the customer piling stuff in front of the panel in the future.

ptrip

I do the same thing in my designs if I'm forced to put a panel or two in Mechanical rooms. If I can put it by the door where the clearance is shared with unobstructable walking space ... I'll do it in a heartbeat!

480sparky

Video rental stores seem to have a knack for doing that.

Restaurants. Always restaurants.

9910.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.