not enough set screws on neutral bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosie06

In a customers house a 100 amp circuit breaker panel 24 circuits only has 16 set screws on neutral bar without putting 2 wires under the same set screw what is the easiest fix for this

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You could take two circuits on different phases and splice/pigtail their respective neutrals together and hit the bar with the one pigtail. I like nakulak's idea better.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You could take two circuits on different phases and splice/pigtail their respective neutrals together and hit the bar with the one pigtail. I like nakulak's idea better.
Would that not create an multiwire circuit and trigger the rule for a common disconnect?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Would that not create an multiwire circuit and trigger the rule for a common disconnect?
I see the logic behind the question, but I would thing that, being in the same enclosure as the origin of the circuits, it would be visible and obvious, and there'd be no need for anyone to disturb the splice anyway.

480sparky

Then do it for the groundings instead of the grounded concuctors instead. Bring two (or even 3) together under a Greenie, and terminate the single ground to the bar.

cpal

I see that as problematic the intent of the language in 408.41 was a result of a UL Std which required the grounded conductor of each circuit be individually terminated to allow complete disconnection of the circuit during service. I don't have the std No but it is in the ROP of that year

Status
Not open for further replies.