Difference between flush mounted and surface mounted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcalle

Could someone please explain the difference between a flush mounted panelboard and a surface mounted panelboard? They seem to be very similar but I know there is a slight difference.

I found a site that explained that a flush mounted piece of equipment is when the equipment will be attached to the surface (wall) through designated holes on the equipment.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Could someone please explain the difference between a flush mounted panelboard and a surface mounted panelboard? They seem to be very similar but I know there is a slight difference.

I found a site that explained that a flush mounted piece of equipment is when the equipment will be attached to the surface (wall) through designated holes on the equipment.

Thanks

The panel are the same usually it is the cover that is different. In some cases the covers are also the same.

Some brands have a cover that wraps tightly around the edge of the panel. This would be a surface mounted panel cover. The flush covers are just flat and overlap the panel to cover the joint made by the sheetrock and the panel.

Does that help.

480sparky

A flush-mounted panel goes in the wall, a surface-mounted panel goes on the wall.

As Dennis stated, the difference is in the cover.

Usually, surface covers are the same size as the outside dimension of the panel itself. A flush cover is larger to cover up the edge of both the panel and the wall material.

kbsparky

In the case with many load centers, they are exactly the same either flush or surface mounted. The only difference is the cover.

For example, most square D type QO panels are sold without covers -- you choose whether to use a surface or flush cover and buy that separately for your job.

stcalle

A flush-mounted panel goes in the wall, a surface-mounted panel goes on the wall.

As Dennis stated, the difference is in the cover.

Usually, surface covers are the same size as the outside dimension of the panel itself. A flush cover is larger to cover up the edge of both the panel and the wall material.

This makes sense what you said but I've thought of "in the wall" as being recessed. However, I use teh term recessed when I am referring to lighting fixtures. Perhaps flush is a similar installation but used when referring to panelboards?

In the case with many load centers, they are exactly the same either flush or surface mounted. The only difference is the cover.

For example, most square D type QO panels are sold without covers -- you choose whether to use a surface or flush cover and buy that separately for your job.

This makes sense about the cover being the differing part. Would anyone care to explain the advantages of one over the other? I'd imagine the surface type of cover is the preferred one.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the can is "recessed (your term)", the flush cover has a "lip" that covers the cut in the wall the same as a switch plate works with a recessed switch making a neater job.
If you use the "flush" cover on a surface mounted box, the metal which protrudes beyond the box becomes a edge that can catch clothing or scratch, etc. in addition to loooking odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.