High Phase to Ground Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcheser

I am dealing with a 1,000KVA transformer (Delta-Delta) 13.8kV to 575Volt system and all phase to phase voltages read around 580 but the Phase to ground on the "A" Phase reads 470 to 480 volts while "B" and "C" phase are right where they should be around 300 volts. Never seen anything like this!! Any Ideas? We have checked the voltage with a multimeter under load and no load conditions and get the same results.

dcheser

Not Sure how it is grounded. Was looking into it moments ago and I opened all of the branch circuits and the problem cleared. Began closing breakers until the problem appeared again. Ended up tracing it back to an MCC Bucket that feeds an Elevator. The Elevator has a built in capacitor bank, so I am guessing a capacitor may be the culprit.

zog

I am dealing with a 1,000KVA transformer (Delta-Delta) 13.8kV to 575Volt system and all phase to phase voltages read around 580 but the Phase to ground on the "A" Phase reads 470 to 480 volts while "B" and "C" phase are right where they should be around 300 volts. Never seen anything like this!! Any Ideas? We have checked the voltage with a multimeter under load and no load conditions and get the same results.

Megger the load side yet?

Cold Fusion

Not Sure how it is grounded. Was looking into it moments ago and I opened all of the branch circuits and the problem cleared. Began closing breakers until the problem appeared again. Ended up tracing it back to an MCC Bucket that feeds an Elevator. The Elevator has a built in capacitor bank, so I am guessing a capacitor may be the culprit.

Your numbers are real close to an un-grounded system, with a fairly low resistance ground on the centertap between B and C.

If the caps are Y connected, I wouldn't suspect them.. But if they are Delta connected - maybe.

cf

Status
Not open for further replies.