Lost drivers license

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbond24

Without going into a lot of detail, it looks like one of my electricians will loose his driving privilages for a few months. We are a small shop and this is going to put a major strain on getting service work done. Didn't really want to hire an apprentice/chaufeur right now but that may be a necessity. This is not someone I want to loose. How have others handled this?

Without going into a lot of detail, I fully support giving people second chances when they do something really really stupid, especially if they learned from it. Don't really have anything to offer you in the way of help, but I am glad that you're not just dumping him.

zog said:
Just keep an eye on the location of the one cop in central Nebraska and he shouldn't have a problem.

I've heard its so flat out west that you can see them coming from a mile away. ;) I think that was Kansas, though. :grin:

wawireguy

You said you don't want to lose him so.. Hire a apprentice to work with him. You said you were busy so there should be enough work. If things slow up and you have to let somebody go then you have a very good reason to let both of them go.

specgrade

People who get the first dui should lose their driving privilages for LIFE. The second time should be LIFE in prison period. I know folks who are DEAD because of the actions of others. You know you should not drink and drive so WHY do it?? :mad:

Drive him around all you like...condone his actions...it's okay everything will be alright. No one got hurt, right?

Last edited:

satcom

People who get the first dui should lose their driving privilages for LIFE. The second time should be LIFE in prison period. I know folks who are DEAD because of the actions of others. You know you should not drink and drive so WHY do it?? :mad:

Drive him around all you like...condone his actions...it's okay everything will be alright. No one got hurt, right?

I think we all know how serious DWI is, and with someone in business that employees a person that is a drinker, they open themself up to all kinds of liability, so a small shop may not be able to continue employement for anyone foolish eniough to drink and drive, and don't forget this same guy may try to come to the job drunk, so good by and good luck may be all a small contractor can manage to do.

drbond24

Just for the record, he never said it was DUI. There are more reasons than that for loosing your driver's license. I feel the same about DUI as the rest of you do; I was just referring to the negative effect on the employer in my last post. The guy obviously did something in his personal life that has now affected his employer negatively and many, if not most, would just drop him on the spot for that. I commend the OP for not doing that. I have personal experience with people that have learned from that set of circumstances and come out better for it on the other side. If I had more information on what the guy had done I might change that statement, but what he did wasn't the point.

Since my blathering isn't directly related to answering the OP's question, I'll shut up now and stay out of it. :)

growler

You know you should not drink and drive so WHY do it??

Well, your honor, you know actually I was quite drunk at the time and not thinking clearly. :D:D

There are several countries in this world that don't allow the use of alcohol and they are the one's strapping on the bombs and blowing themselves up. Just doesn't make sense does it? :confused:

mivey

There are several countries in this world that don't allow the use of alcohol and they are the one's strapping on the bombs and blowing themselves up. Just doesn't make sense does it? :confused:
If only the leaders would practice what they preach.:cool:

specgrade

Just for the record, he never said it was DUI. There are more reasons than that for loosing your driver's license. I feel the same about DUI as the rest of you do; I was just referring to the negative effect on the employer in my last post. The guy obviously did something in his personal life that has now affected his employer negatively and many, if not most, would just drop him on the spot for that. I commend the OP for not doing that. I have personal experience with people that have learned from that set of circumstances and come out better for it on the other side. If I had more information on what the guy had done I might change that statement, but what he did wasn't the point.

Since my blathering isn't directly related to answering the OP's question, I'll shut up now and stay out of it. :)

Sorry if I was out of line. You are right. The OP never mentioned a dui.

specgrade

Well, your honor, you know actually I was quite drunk at the time and not thinking clearly. :D:D

I wouldn't mind if they wanted to blow themselves up. Just don't take other lives while doing so. ;) I'm all for freedom of speech :cool:

wireguru

geeze political conversation much?

Back to the OP, you need to look at the long term costs of keeping the guy, as well as your future exposure, and determine whether its worth it to keep him. Yes its tough to let someone go, but business is business -if he is costing you another $4,000 a year in increased insurance premiums, is he willing to take a pay cut?

If he gets a temp or provisional license for driving for work only, is he going to get one of your vehicles impounded if he takes it for lunch?

The suspended license could be for any number of things, unpaid tickets, DUI, non payment of child support, etc. I would carefully consider the next move because it could end up really costing you.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

Of course I was driving, you don't think I could walk in this condition do you?:D

Yes I know why you pulled me over, because you're lonely and you've never been with an electrical inspector before.:D

Kdog76

I can relate to this personally. Myself I hired a beginner w/o a driver license & have been his driver for the past 3 months. It is a drag, big time being we don't live in the same city. I got him because he's my old bosses grandson, has a little experience and I know what I'm getting with him, as opposed to someone off the street.
I was about at my wits end, but there's an opening for a road test this Friday. I hope he gets it. (this will #3 !) :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.