Measuring aperage on feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

garzajk

I havean mcc fed with 3, 3con/500mcm cables. 3 cables per phase.
When taking an amp reading do I need to have my meter around all 3 wires on the phase to get an actual amperage or can I just have it around on of the cables? Thanks on advance.

garzajk

Ok, thanks. We were discussing that at work today. The last time a amp reading was taken was about a year ago. The last electrician wrote it down on the main but it looked kind of low for a 1200 amp main.

nakulak

180px-Gorilla_019.jpg

Measuring aperage on feeders ?

SG-1

The meter needs to be around all the phase conductors.

Let me be a little more clear. The meter needs to be around all the phase conductors of the Phase you want to measure.

As stated before you might think the meter should be around A,B, & C Phases at the same time. This would result in reading the imbalence between the phases.

mivey

Let me be a little more clear. The meter needs to be around all the phase conductors of the Phase you want to measure.

As stated before you might think the meter should be around A,B, & C Phases at the same time. This would result in reading the imbalence between the phases.
Are you expecting a big difference on parallel runs?

philly

I dont think putting the meter around all three phases would show unbalance, but rather would show zero sequecne or ground current. Even with unbalacned currents they should sill all sum to zero through a zero sequence CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.