double lug for meter socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKwiring

I am having a tough time finding the parts to complete a parallel 4/0 service. I ran parallel 4/0 service conductors from utility pole to Milbank 200 amp underground meter socket.(long run) Now I can't seem to get the right lugs to terminate the two 4/0 conductors. The supplier I deal with has tried twice to give me a double lug connector and they are not fitting. I asked about this last week but would appreciate a few more details, I am having a tough time. Is there a special double lug that fits in the meter socket? Do you know who makes it or what does it look like? A don't believe the utility will allow a splice before the meter. Thanks again for the help!

mcclary's electrical

I am having a tough time finding the parts to complete a parallel 4/0 service. I ran parallel 4/0 service conductors from utility pole to Milbank 200 amp underground meter socket.(long run) Now I can't seem to get the right lugs to terminate the two 4/0 conductors. The supplier I deal with has tried twice to give me a double lug connector and they are not fitting. I asked about this last week but would appreciate a few more details, I am having a tough time. Is there a special double lug that fits in the meter socket? Do you know who makes it or what does it look like? A don't believe the utility will allow a splice before the meter. Thanks again for the help!

Around here, I get it from the power company, the same people I get my meter bases from. They always have double lugs for setting a 320 and feeding (2) 200 amp MBP's. I did one the same way yesterday.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
They make them, Milbank. Tell your supplier to get these. As mentioned here before, I have no problems getting meter bases and the lugs ordered at the same time.

AKwiring

I see, nice for feeding two panels. Can you put a double lug on the line side?

This is the meter socket I have.(residential) The main lugs are not side by side but are staggered. Do I need a special meter that takes the double lugs.
NEAC.pdf

ZZZ

Paralled 4/0's on a 200 amp service how long a run was it, 900 feet? I don't believe you can get the lugs you need with that meter back, have you called Milbank direct? 877-483-5314 Around here it is acceptable to splice them and use a couple of Polaris Insulated Tap connectors inside the pan (if there's room) and just bring one 250 MCM up to each lug.

http://www.tork.com/article.aspx

Last edited:

ZZZ

I'll have to correct my earlier post, we now have to run the paralled lines into a lockable gutter to splice them.

AKwiring

The run is 430' to where the new home main panel will be. The utility requires minimum of 500 cirmils wirefor this length. 440' requires parallel 4/0. I figured the 4/0 would be a lot easier to work with.

AKwiring

I finally got what I needed to make this work. A splice is not allowed by our utility before the meter. I needed a stud kit to go on my UG meter socket(comes with the slide lugs that take 1/2" socket.) With the stud kit I could then install twin lugs.
I double checked with utility and my options for conductor were either 500 circmils or parallel 4/0.
Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.