Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

everyja

I ran a dedicated 12/2 w/g 20 amp GFCI protected outlet for a cord and plug connected water jet tub. All the plumbing is plastic. The motor has a bonding lug on it. What are the requirements for bonding this application. My thoughts are that I'm done with install or do i need to run the #8 back to panel from the bonding lug located on motor.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
On 95% of the installations, you are fine.
I have encountered some Jacuzzi brand hydrotubs where the mfg. instructions call for a #8 bond to panel, but such requirements are rare.
Check you manufacturer instructions.
(The lug on the motor is often there because it is the same motor used for swimming pool installations)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
On 95% of the installations, you are fine.
I have encountered some Jacuzzi brand hydrotubs where the mfg. instructions call for a #8 bond to panel, but such requirements are rare.
Check you manufacturer instructions.
(The lug on the motor is often there because it is the same motor used for swimming pool installations)

I have seen those, too and have had to run a #8 back to the panel.

erickench

If the ground wire that you ran is bonded to the motor then you have no problem. You need a ground fault current path. GFCI protects personnel not equipment.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I ran a dedicated 12/2 w/g 20 amp GFCI protected outlet for a cord and plug connected water jet tub. All the plumbing is plastic. The motor has a bonding lug on it. What are the requirements for bonding this application. My thoughts are that I'm done with install or do i need to run the #8 back to panel from the bonding lug located on motor.

The requirements are in 680.74. If you have metal piping in the walls connected to this tub, you'd need to connect to those. It its all plastic, then you're probably done. Anything else touching the water should have been bonded by the tub maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.