Timer circuit for car engine block heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

megloff11x

background:

In northern climes many of us use engine block heaters, though some newer cars won't accept them. Basically you knock out a freeze plug on the engine block and install this 400-700W heater in its place. It has a 120VAC power cord. You run an extension cord from whatever outlet you can find to this cord.

It makes it MUCH easier to start if it's 12 below (like this morning) or a couple years back when it was 51 below ambient (no wind).

You really only need to plug it in for 2-3 hours to warm it adequately. However, most plug in before bed and thus it sucks 0.5kWh or so every hour for an un-needed 5-6 hours.

Most plug-in timer circuits are for indoor use and many probably aren't up to switching a middlin heater load on a daily basis for very long, listed &rated or not.

This would never pay for itself in a reasonable time on energy savings unless the policitians get their energy "fixes" in, but some folks like to be as green as they can these days.

Is there an affordable hardwired, listed, acceptable timer & disconnect switch that can be installed inside to control outlets outside? There are dozens of ways and hardware choices to do this, few really cheap, but maybe someone has a product?

Set the thing to turn on the block heater ~2-3 hours before you have to leave for work.

An added bonus is manually de-energizing outside outlets. I had a co-worker go home for lunch one day. There was a crew working on her neighbor's house and they had plugged their stereo and drill battery charger into her outside outlets and were using her spigot for their watering hose!

I put this up as food for thought for possible new business in the slower winter months. At probably 50 cents a night of electricity savings it might take a decade to recover the investment of installation. But again, some folks like to try saving every microwatt-hour of energy they can, even if it's off peak.

Matt

Cold Fusion

No need to invent anything for this. Since you live in a cold winter area, I'd be certain every house wirer, and apartment building wirer in the area already has the answer.

Up here, every apartment has a switch, or a switch and timer for an outside receptacle at that apartment's parking slot - usually right next to the panel (the timer, not the parking place:roll:). Been that way since maybe the 60's.

With -50F weather in your area, I'm really surprised this isn't the norm up there as well.

Here's a link:
http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/mechanical%20time%20switches/7%20day%2040%20amp.aspx

I think Intermatic has been selling these for 40+ years.

cf

Cold Fusion

Or they can just buy a heavy duty, outdoor, 7 days programable, plug in timer straight off the shelf for less than $20. ...
Years back I tried a few of those. They melt after a while. However, then I was parking outside all the time, and had two block heaters, an oil pan heater, a transmission pan heater and we were still using battery blankets - maybe 1200W

cf

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm going along with CF. That's how I have my front fountain wired. Simply and Intermatic time clock feeding a receptacle. I actually installed a two gang box and have two Receptacles out there one for the fountain fed by the time clock and one that's hot all the time, just because.

480sparky

Where do you live where it gets down to 50 below? Canada? Alaska? Nobody should live where it gets that cold. ;)

I guess I should move out of Iowa.
1111th_smiley_freezing.gif

Cold Fusion

... Nobody should live where it gets that cold. ;)
It has advantages:
Not crowded with people. (but the mosquitos make up for the lost weight)

The air is breathable. (unless it is forest fire time - they don't tend to put them out here, they just let them burn)

Lots of water. (mostly hard water, either full of minerals or you have to thaw it)

If I have a problem with the state government, I can get to the Governor - it might take a while, but I can (they still are not likely to do anything about it.)

No permits or inspections required on single family dwellings (you are free to burn you and your family to the ground)

Hunting is good, fishing is good.

The kids don't shoot each other up much. Most know how to handle a gun safely.

There are a few things that some might consider a downside:
If you are out of sight of heated buildings, you are on your own. No one is going to come save you.

More people die from cold weather and stupidity than from gang activity (maybe that is not a downside.)

We have more than our share of dirty politicians.

Most of the US treats us as a third world country.

My long time buddy in Seattle gets mad at me cause he says we are a rich state :)confused::confused:)

Heating fuel is $3.20 and it takes 1500 gallons a year to heat my house.

Gas is $3.40. All of my vehicles are 4WD and none get up to 20mpg.

All in all, I'd rather be here.

cf

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Those block heaters sure make it warm inside when you start it up!
No waiting for the truck to warm.

I switched to Synthetic oil several years ago. I have rarely ever had a problem stating the diesel at -10 . Actually it turns over like it's in the 50's

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It has advantages:
Not crowded with people. (but the mosquitos make up for the lost weight)

The air is breathable. (unless it is forest fire time - they don't tend to put them out here, they just let them burn)

Lots of water. (mostly hard water, either full of minerals or you have to thaw it)

If I have a problem with the state government, I can get to the Governor - it might take a while, but I can (they still are not likely to do anything about it.)

No permits or inspections required on single family dwellings (you are free to burn you and your family to the ground)

Hunting is good, fishing is good.

The kids don't shoot each other up much. Most know how to handle a gun safely.

There are a few things that some might consider a downside:
If you are out of sight of heated buildings, you are on your own. No one is going to come save you.

More people die from cold weather and stupidity than from gang activity (maybe that is not a downside.)

We have more than our share of dirty politicians.

Most of the US treats us as a third world country.

My long time buddy in Seattle gets mad at me cause he says we are a rich state :)confused::confused:)

Heating fuel is $3.20 and it takes 1500 gallons a year to heat my house.

Gas is $3.40. All of my vehicles are 4WD and none get up to 20mpg.

All in all, I'd rather be here.

cf

Once heard that there were only two seasons there, winter and mosquito, or was it winter and mud? Something like that:D My brother lived up there for awhile, sounds like an interesting place.

Jim W in Tampa

Yep. You stay nice n toasty while Hurricane ScrubTheLand takes you out with the tide.........

Never worried about hurricanes here. Always plenty of warning if headed our way. Been in FL since 73 and no damage. We have parties when one headed our way.
I growed up in PA. sorry but this boy don't like being cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.