I am not too familiar with residential service installations and was looking at some

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
yes that's true, however if you are served from a utility pad mounted transformer with multiple taps (no secondary OCPD) the utility in my area for underground runs like a 250al conductors min. so the fault would continue until the primary protection of the xfmr. opens. if that's the case there exist a shock hazard on the meter enclosure? I guess it depends on the size of the xmfr. and the TCC of the primary fuse.
Many utilities size the primary fuse to protect only the primary distribution system. In these cases it will be unlikely that the primary fuse will open for any type of fault on the secondary side of the transformer.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In the attached photo wouldnt the conducter to connect the grounded neutral to the grounding electrode be referred to as the system bonding jumper?
No, it would be the Main Bonding Jumper, the term System Bonding Jumper would only be applicable to an SDS

Wouldn't the location of this jumper be determined by where the grounding electrode is located?
It should be located where the GEC is landed, the location of the GE could be anywhere.

I believe the system bonding jumper should only be installed at the location of the grounding electrode which in this case is the service disconnct, and not at the transformer secondary.
I don't understand what you are saying here, there is no transformer in the illustration.
What if both the service disconnect and the transformer had a grounding electrode, do you still only install the system bonding jumper at one of these locations, but not both?

What happens upstream of the service equipment (multiple grounding points) is not an NEC issue.

As Don has pointed out in the past, electrons act differently on the POCO side of the service. ;)

Roger

philly

No, it would be the Main Bonding Jumper, the term System Bonding Jumper would only be applicable to an SDS

It should be located where the GEC is landed, the location of the GE could be anywhere.

I don't understand what you are saying here, there is no transformer in the illustration.

What happens upstream of the service equipment (multiple grounding points) is not an NEC issue.

As Don has pointed out in the past, electrons act differently on the POCO side of the service. ;)

Roger

I guess I am guetting this illustration confused with another Mike Holt illustration of saw entitled "Separately Derived Systems System Bonding Jumper Connection". I guess they are 2 different situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.