To ground or not to ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks...I've been hovering for a while and just wanted to thank this forum and all who participate to make it what it is.

So, I have a question. I was recently working on a project on an older home that had a mix of knob and tube and newer wire, no grounds. I removed the two wire ( stapled to an outside wall) and replaced it with MC and a couple of metal boxes for the receptacles (non-grounding type). Total length was about 4 feet MC. Am i required to ground the MC and boxes if no ground was supplied originally??
Thank you...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
First thought: 250.132 requires it to be grounded, 250.134(B) would allow a GFCI protecting the circut to protect the grounded section.
Hopefully, others will give their opinion.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The best idea would have been to avoid a metallic raceway.:)

Thanks for the replies.
The original wiring was on an outside wall of an addition, not exposed to weather. I would have preferred no MC as well but cutting into the walls wasn't an option. Looking at the proper code makes it real clear as to were I messed this up. There is a #4 bare copper running to the cold water pipe that i can tap from( split bolt) to ground the MC and boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.