This Old House unsafe practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericgold

Don't you love Electrical theory with no path to ground you can touch a live wire or connector and not get electrocuted.

Theories are great but I am not going to test them.

That was just stupid

Did that once in front of an ex girlfriend. Was trying to prove I can safely work on live lines as long as I'm not grounded. Naturally, while doing that, I had my other hand rested firmly on the grounded, metal, counter-top. :roll:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Did that once in front of an ex girlfriend. Was trying to prove I can safely work on live lines as long as I'm not grounded. Naturally, while doing that, I had my other hand rested firmly on the grounded, metal, counter-top. :roll:
That's right in line with "Hey, guys, watch this!" :cool:

yeeeeeeeears ago when i was a first yr apprentice prepping some stress cones for 13.6 kv he told us that electricity jumps 1/4" for every 1 thousand volts under normal conditions. I just always beleived it not knowing any different. Is there such a "rule of thumb" about that or was he just talking out his ***.

wptski

yeeeeeeeears ago when i was a first yr apprentice prepping some stress cones for 13.6 kv he told us that electricity jumps 1/4" for every 1 thousand volts under normal conditions. I just always beleived it not knowing any different. Is there such a "rule of thumb" about that or was he just talking out his ***.
I can't find the link but I actually found a online calculator for the amount of voltage vs gap size.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

I don't know the answer, but I remember watching a show about guys that have to rescue people from power poles, and them reminding people that when you get up to the higher voltages that you don't have to touch the wires to get electrocuted.

pfalcon

Dielectric breakdown of air is 3kV/mm or 76.2kV/in
Higher air pressure increases the dielectric strength (V/mm).

Remember that it only has to have this voltage to jump the air gap. Running the surface of the broom you're holding requires far less voltage.

wptski

Since this is a Ths Old House lack of Safety thread.

Watched one of their non-project segments where Tom Silva helped a HO reroute a problem bathroom vent through the roof. When both or one was on the roof, they had fall protection equipment on. How/where the equipment was attached wasn't shown though!

How many of you use this equipment?

cowboyjwc

Staff member

Watched one of their non-project segments where Tom Silva helped a HO reroute a problem bathroom vent through the roof. When both or one was on the roof, they had fall protection equipment on. How/where the equipment was attached wasn't shown though!

Here it's required by CalOSHA, may even be an OSHA requirement.

WorkSafe

http://www.millerfallprotection.com/fall-protection-products/roofing-products/temporary-roof-anchors

http://www.millerfallprotection.com/fall-protection-products/roofing-products/permanent-roof-anchors

Most of the time you will find some homemade anchoring system that the contractor made and they think that meets the standard.....wrong. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.