Feed through GFCI Outlets on diffrent floors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maloo

A friend of mine purchased a home a couple years ago and I have noticed that the 1st story Bathroom GFCI is a feed through from the 2nd story GFCI outlet. Same with a basement outlet is feed from an exterior outlet. Is this a code violation or is this just bad practice. Personally I would never do something like that but I'm sure I do things that others don't like.

ceb58

A friend of mine purchased a home a couple years ago and I have noticed that the 1st story Bathroom GFCI is a feed through from the 2nd story GFCI outlet. Same with a basement outlet is feed from an exterior outlet. Is this a code violation or is this just bad practice. Personally I would never do something like that but I'm sure I do things that others don't like.

As long as the GFCI on the 2nd floor is in a bathroom and it serves nothing else it's good. Basement outlet is good. Not a good design but the NEC is not a design book. I will hit the master with the GFIC and carry it to a second bath or powder room on the first floor. 2nd floor bath (s) get there own GFIC circ. Just good idea.

nakulak

I thought that was a violation of 210.11 C 3 ? (2005) (the two fed from one are ok, but the one fed from outside doesn't seem to fit the code ? Unless I am misunderstanding and the basement outlet is not in a bathroom)

Last edited:

TOOL_5150

I say its horrible practice - BUT, As long as they keep putting the GFCI in the garage and running all the bathrooms off of it, I will keep getting $150 trouble calls to find and reset a gfci.

~Matt

ceb58

I say its horrible practice - BUT, As long as they keep putting the GFCI in the garage and running all the bathrooms off of it, I will keep getting $150 trouble calls to find and reset a gfci.

~Matt

I cant see that happening. Where dose it say the GFCI that serves a bath can be in the garage?

TOOL_5150

I cant see that happening. Where dose it say the GFCI that serves a bath can be in the garage?

I am pretty sure that it does not say that anywhere. Hoever - Thats how a specific tract of houses were wired.

I checked all the bathrooms - no gfci, checked outside, none... then figured it had to be in the garage.. after a little searching, I found it hidden behind a shoe rack.

~Matt

ceb58

I thought that was a violation of 210.11 C 3 ? (2005) (the two fed from one are ok, but the one fed from outside doesn't seem to fit the code ? Unless I am misunderstanding and the basement outlet is not in a bathroom)

I think the OP is asking about two different installs. 1 is the bath GFCI 2 the fact that a outlet in the basement is feed from a GFCI on the outside. IE.. if the basement outlet tripped you would have to go outside to reset it.

iwire

Staff member
I think the OP is asking about two different installs. 1 is the bath GFCI 2 the fact that a outlet in the basement is feed from a GFCI on the outside. IE.. if the basement outlet tripped you would have to go outside to reset it.

Under the current code you can not mix bathroom receptacles with other receptacles, however that was not always the case. In the 80s when I was doing condos we would go from panel to the closest GFCI location then hit ever other GFCI location.

Cheap, bad design but code legal at the time.

ceb58

Under the current code you can not mix bathroom receptacles with other receptacles, however that was not always the case. In the 80s when I was doing condos we would go from panel to the closest GFCI location then hit ever other GFCI location.

That is true Bob but I think my point was missed. I think the OP was asking about two different scenarios.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired

~Matt

That's how my 1996 constructed home was wired ... 2 garage duplex, front porch, 2 bathrooms ... one 15A circuit, GFCI in a garage receptacle.

Darn near everything else was first class ... why this? If the wife and daughter both run hairdryers, pop goes the breaker ... they've learned, one dries hair in a bedroom.

480sparky

That's how my 1996 constructed home was wired ... 2 garage duplex, front porch, 2 bathrooms ... one 15A circuit, GFCI in a garage receptacle.

Darn near everything else was first class ... why this? If the wife and daughter both run hairdryers, pop goes the breaker ... they've learned, one dries hair in a bedroom.

A 20a bath circuit was not required back then. You have found out why it is today.

kbsparky

Many old-timers will recall that when the GFI's first came out, they were quite expensive. The Code was originally set up so one could be in compliance by using only one GFI device, with all the other required locations wired downstream from it.

Now that the relative cost of individual GFI devices is much less than they were years ago, this is not an issue.

But way back then, those costs would have made the difference between getting a contract or not. :mad:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Many old-timers will recall that when the GFI's first came out, they were quite expensive. The Code was originally set up so one could be in compliance by using only one GFI device, with all the other required locations wired downstream from it.

Now that the relative cost of individual GFI devices is much less than they were years ago, this is not an issue.

But way back then, those costs would have made the difference between getting a contract or not. :mad:
The 'good ole days' when the homeowner could shovel snow off his deck at 6 a.m. to reset the GFCI so the bath would have power.:)

maloo

Sorry I was unclear. The bathrooms are on one circuit and only feeds the two bathrooms. The exterior is on another circuit and the basement is unfinished. BTW the house was built under the '05 code.

dobbsj

ARC Fault and GFCI combination

ARC Fault and GFCI combination

Does anyone know when GE will come out with a GFCI and Arc Fault built into a single breaker? GE advised me to use Arc fault breaker and fun the circuit through GFCI to get bot protection. I have done this on the new home I bought in SC.

Thanks

fondini

not if the outside recept is next to a window!!:D

ceb58

Does anyone know when GE will come out with a GFCI and Arc Fault built into a single breaker? GE advised me to use Arc fault breaker and fun the circuit through GFCI to get bot protection. I have done this on the new home I bought in SC.

Thanks

Curious to know where the outlet is located to need AFCI and GFCI protection

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
iwire said:

You are correct Bob. We have a lot of condos down here in NJ wired the same way.
nakulak said:
I thought that was a violation of 210.11 C 3 ? (2005) (the two fed from one are ok,
Still OK under the 2008 code - still a bad design. You could have a house with 5 bathrooms as long as the first bathroom has a GFI protected receptacle and the others downstream of it are protected by that first GFI you're legit.
ceb58 said:
As long as the GFCI on the 2nd floor is in a bathroom and it serves nothing else it's good.
That pertains to the exception in 210.11(C)(3). If the circuit serves more than just the bathroom receptacle(s) it cannot leave that bathroom and serve anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.