Feed through GFCI Outlets on diffrent floors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Does anyone know when GE will come out with a GFCI and Arc Fault built into a single breaker? GE advised me to use Arc fault breaker and fun the circuit through GFCI to get bot protection. I have done this on the new home I bought in SC.

Thanks
Having both types of protection is not an NEC requirement but that doesn't mean that you can't have both if you chose to.

BTW - IMHO, if that ever became a requirement I believe Siemens would probably be the first to come out with it. I wouldn't bank on other manufacturers to take the lead on this. Just my opinion.

hot wire

How times change .Been on service calls owner says bathroom recp not working go to another bathroom or a outside recp and reset the gfi easy money..

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Does anyone know when GE will come out with a GFCI and Arc Fault built into a single breaker? GE advised me to use Arc fault breaker and fun the circuit through GFCI to get bot protection. I have done this on the new home I bought in SC.

Thanks
I believe they already exist. In fact I am sure they exist or at least did exist at one time.

ptrip

Owned a house once where the GFCI in the garage and the basement were the same circuit.

Ex-husband and I were hard-wiring a humidifier into an existing receptacle circuit. Wired everything up ... and it looked great ... but it (and the receptacles) had no power. After much deliberation we decided to take a break and go to dinner. It was after we pulled back into the garage when we noticed the GFCI in the garage was lit (tripped). Thank goodness for insulated tools and GFCIs... the basement receptacles were on a different circuit than the "crawl space" receptacles, therefore the circuit we had turned off was not the circuit we were working with. Cutting the wire tripped the GFCI.

We definitely learned some lessons that day. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.