Dishwasher and garbage disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I have offered a devils advocate opinion in the past that there are no allowances in 210.23 for this type of switching. It literally says "connected to the circuit." The panel schedule will show the disposal and the dishwasher on that same circuit, technically.

That said, there's no way the circuit could be overloaded, so it shouldn't be a code violation...

rwreuter

I have offered a devils advocate opinion in the past that there are no allowances in 210.23 for this type of switching. It literally says "connected to the circuit." The panel schedule will show the disposal and the dishwasher on that same circuit, technically.

That said, there's no way the circuit could be overloaded, so it shouldn't be a code violation...

George,

how is there "no way" the circuit could be overload? if you have a 10a dw and a 10a disp (which is a motor load and will exceed that on startup). how is there no possibility of it being overloaded?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
George,

how is there "no way" the circuit could be overload? if you have a 10a dw and a 10a disp (which is a motor load and will exceed that on startup). how is there no possibility of it being overloaded?
Because if the homerun is the common, and either load is connected to a different traveler of the same switch, then the loads cannot be simultaneously energized.

pfalcon

210.23(A)(2).
Both units are fastened in place. The combined load shall not exceed 50 percent even though they are not permitted to be used together. Probably to avoid flaming wires when the switch fails to both on.

paul

I don't know why they require separate circuits. How long do people run their disposal? Mine is only run about 5 seconds each time. By then I'm not running at full load, because all the food is ground to a pulp, therefore the motor is not drawing it's peak ampacity. Has anyone EVER tripped the circuit while running both? I doubt it!

I bought my house 11 years ago and it came with both on the same circuit. They have never tripped!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
210.23(A)(2).
Both units are fastened in place. The combined load shall not exceed 50 percent even though they are not permitted to be used together. Probably to avoid flaming wires when the switch fails to both on.

I don't that the section you've posted actually says this.

M. D.

I can't believe someone would even think of doing this.

I can and have done it myself ,.. and I thought I was being quite clever, I might add ,.. This was before dishwashers were little computers,... I doubt I'd do it now ... but it got me out of a jam .. It was a 15 amp circuit and I added the disposal through a 3-way switch to a single pole switch for the disposal .

pfalcon

pfalcon said:
210.23(A)(2).
I don't that the section you've posted actually says this.

NFPA70 said:
210.23(A)(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

Disposals are always fastened in place. Dishwashers are usually fastened in place. OP says they are using cord-and-plug which means a blender, toaster, or other can be supplied. The above section doesn't care that you wired a switch in place; Their total fastened load can only be half of the ratings.

M. D.

210.23(A)(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug connected utilization equipment not fastened in place, or both, are also supplied.

Do we have these ???

Status
Not open for further replies.