Do you repair the drywall you cut for extra money

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I was on a job today, And had to cut some holes in the drywall. I told the customer beforehand, that I knew someone who repairs it so good you wont be able to tell. Well the customer asked me if I could do it. I said sure but it might not be as nice. They didn't really care. So I made some extra money. So now this got me thinking, I need to improve my drywall repair skills! I always thought, man if I could repair drywall really nice, I could make some extra money, DUH!

e57

AGES ago - I worked for a service company that would offer to replace open sheet-rock and mud need to open for our work.... Excluding paint and responsibilty for texture... It was a failed learning experiment...

If you are to do it - CYA in disclaimers and do not promote it as "matching" or "seamless" etc.

To do it right - it takes time, multiple trips, and yeah - a little skill... Textures - even flat ones are a PITA to match. Getting the match to a deep or complicated texture is tough... (FWIW there are many stucco guys who only do the whole side of a building as opposed to floor by floor - because even the interuption of lunch is visable in the wall...) Opinion of me here may be pretty low right now - no need to relate sheet-rock repair and plastering to an art... But it is a skill...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We usually tell them that all repairs are "by others". For small notches we will fill them in with light weight spackling compound if they request it. The light weight stuff does not shrink or crack so a decent sized notch can be filled in one application. At times we've patched larger holes with Sheetrock and applied the tape and the first coat of compound. That at least closes the open holes. It's up to them to finish the remaining coats of compound and the paint. By only doing the first coat no return trips are required.

Buck Parrish

Some times we sheetrock tape and mud. Just the first coat though.
The NEC requires no more then a 1/4 opening around energized wires.

jimmyglen

glad it worked out for you this time

next time you might not get so lucky

We are not in the drywall repair or paint business - remember that if you accept payment for the repairs then it should be done in a professional manor

dont think for a second that people wont call you back if they are not 100 percent happy (and that includes the patching that they PAID you for) - doesnt matter the amount

satcom

I was on a job today, And had to cut some holes in the drywall. I told the customer beforehand, that I knew someone who repairs it so good you wont be able to tell. Well the customer asked me if I could do it. I said sure but it might not be as nice. They didn't really care. So I made some extra money. So now this got me thinking, I need to improve my drywall repair skills! I always thought, man if I could repair drywall really nice, I could make some extra money, DUH!

Make extra money, or more likely extend your open liability, with customers that will call you later demanding you repair the little crack they see, or fix the little bumps, the more you do, the deeper the problem customers will come back to haunt you, and they will not remember your great electrical work but the lousey patches.

laketime

Always in the contract "All drywall patching and painting to be done by others" Would you hire a drywaller to do electrical work?

ceb58

If I cut a hole in drywall just to access the cavity, no box going in the hole, I do it with a hole saw and save the cutout. When I am done I will cut a paint stirrer about 6'' longer than the hole. Screw it in on both sides and then screw the cutout in. The rest is on them.

ps
The paint stirrers for the 5gal. buckets of paint work better.They are thicker wood and free at big blue:D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Always in the contract "All drywall patching and painting to be done by others" Would you hire a drywaller to do electrical work?

Certainly you can't compare a drywall installer to an electrical professional. :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I always thought, man if I could repair drywall really nice, I could make some extra money, DUH!
I do, and I do.

We're licensed for home and commercial improvement, too. We did an attic finish, where we framed a closet and reset the attic door, did plumbing rough and finish, HVAC ducting, insulation, drywall hang and finish, trim carpentry, and of course, lighting and wiring.

We also built a 400 sq ft master bed/bath, where we did the engineering and plans, dug the footing, worked the trucked-in concrete, (hired out the masonry foundation), framing, sheathing, all the above stuff (owner got plumbing permit), siding, roof, exterior trim, gutters.

Pix available upon request. ;)

So, yes, we do our own drywall repair. We, of course, include the cost in our proposals. We'll paint if we have to.

220/221

In the olden days I would do the repairs and bill them for it.

Now it's "Drywall patch by others" or "Rough patch only. Finish/texture/paint by others"

I will still occaisionally do the whole patch and paint thing. In some cases it seems like a waste to bring in big ladders/scaffold/drop cloths again to do a few simple patches.

If the job was bid well and went smoothly, I might throw it in. Sometimes I can schmooze a $100 tip for my efforts. If there are big/tricky/highly visable patches, I know enough to cover my arse and have them call a pro.

I always told them up front that I cut holes, but I don't patch holes.

What if they asked you in writing on the back of a big enough check?

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The light weight stuff does not shrink or crack so a decent sized notch can be filled in one application.
That stuff is so weird. It's so light that the container feels completely empty. It's also too soft and dry for me to use.

The powdered compound is great, by the way, because it sets up in a few minutes, and is stronger than premixed.

bigjohn67

Sheetrock repairs

Sheetrock repairs

Here is what we do.
Contract always reads, "Repairs to ceilings, walls and floors by others"

When we cut a hole , we angle the cut on 3 sides so that the piece does not fall back into the hole when replaced. The fourth side is "popped" so that the paper on the front acts as a hinge.

rodneee

i would think most homeowners will understand all parties would be better served if the drywall repairs were made by a drywall man. it has never been a hard sell for me.

c2500

I do, and I do.

We're licensed for home and commercial improvement, too. We did an attic finish, where we framed a closet and reset the attic door, did plumbing rough and finish, HVAC ducting, insulation, drywall hang and finish, trim carpentry, and of course, lighting and wiring.

We also built a 400 sq ft master bed/bath, where we did the engineering and plans, dug the footing, worked the trucked-in concrete, (hired out the masonry foundation), framing, sheathing, all the above stuff (owner got plumbing permit), siding, roof, exterior trim, gutters.

Pix available upon request. ;)

So, yes, we do our own drywall repair. We, of course, include the cost in our proposals. We'll paint if we have to.

I have to ask the obvious question....you did plumbing work for the HO under an HO pulled permit. Is that legal where you live? In SC, you would be breaking the law because of not having plumbing licenses. You also would be breaking the law for acting as a builder...unless you are one.

c2500

Status
Not open for further replies.