Transfer Switch as Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This has been discussed previously but I'm not finding what I want on searching.
Scenario: Outside meter. Manual transfer switch outside (service rated but non fused) feeding an interior panel. There is no overcurrent protection in the outside switch and no immediately adjacent overcurrent.
230.82 would not allow this switch unless it is considered the service disconnect, yet 230.91 requires the OCP to be immediately adjacent.
Is the solution to group the two ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Gus I believe if the transfer switch is service rated and outside near the meter then the OCP can be inside the house as near as possible to where the conductors enter the building.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Gus I believe if the transfer switch is service rated and outside near the meter then the OCP can be inside the house as near as possible to where the conductors enter the building.
IMO, "immediately adjacent thereto" should be interpretted as meaning both are accessible without moving one's feet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
IMO, "immediately adjacent thereto" should be interpretted as meaning both are accessible without moving one's feet.
What about 230.70(A)(1). Around here it has always been allowed for the OCPD to be installed according to 230.70

230.70 General.
Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the service-entrance conductors.
(A) Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed in accordance with 230.70(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3).
(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Dennis, Sorry, I don't understand the post. If the transfer switch serves as disconnect, as I see 230.70, it could be outside or inside nearest point of entrance.
If the TS were outside, could the OCP (in this case the panel it feeds) be loacted inside nearest the point of entrance from the non-fuse TS ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, Sorry, I don't understand the post. If the transfer switch serves as disconnect, as I see 230.70, it could be outside or inside nearest point of entrance.
If the TS were outside, could the OCP (in this case the panel it feeds) be loacted inside nearest the point of entrance from the non-fuse TS ?

Yes, that is what I am saying-- at least I thought that was what I was saying.:grin:

benaround

IMO, 230.70(A)(1) allows the SDM outside or inside nearest the point of entrance, but

under VII Overcurrent Protection, 230.91 adds that the overcurrent protection 'shall' be

part of the service disconnecting means or right next to it. I don't see the TS outside and

the Main Breaker on the panel inside as compliant.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes, that is what I am saying-- at least I thought that was what I was saying.:grin:

Dennis,

The key is all in the wording...
The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors.

Note the subject of that sentence is the Service Disconnecting Means, which includes both switch and OCP... so both have to be either outside or inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.