Friends don't let friends do electrical repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

A good friend recently bought a house and asked me to stop by in order to show me around and install some lights. As we walked through the dining room he points to a freshly made opening in the wall, roughly 4' x 4'

My buddy: Yeah, my brother in law and I cut this in the other day but there was that metal wire stapled to one of the studs so I had to splice it.
Me: Yeah, did you splice it in the attic?
My buddy: No, right here and here (He points to two spots on the wall)
Me: Blah, you buried a splice man, that's not cool.
My buddy: Well what was I going to do, the wire wasn't long enough.
Me: Did you at least use metal boxes?
My buddy: No
Me: Haha, now you have no ground on that circuit
My buddy: So, I just plugged in that vacuum and it worked fine.
Me: I'm sure it did, hey if someone came in here with a plug tester it would say that you have an open ground, that means no path back to the panel in order for the circuit to trip if you had a fault in your three pronged appliance.
My buddy: Hey, Bob Villa isn't going to come in here with a tester and check my outlets.
Me: No but an inspector would, you should have waited until I got here man.
My buddy: Okay let's not get carried away with this. Let me show you the lights I want up.......

sparky=t

A good friend recently bought a house and asked me to stop by in order to show me around and install some lights. As we walked through the dining room he points to a freshly made opening in the wall, roughly 4' x 4'

My buddy: Yeah, my brother in law and I cut this in the other day but there was that metal wire stapled to one of the studs so I had to splice it.
Me: Yeah, did you splice it in the attic?
My buddy: No, right here and here (He points to two spots on the wall)
Me: Blah, you buried a splice man, that's not cool.
My buddy: Well what was I going to do, the wire wasn't long enough.
Me: Did you at least use metal boxes?
My buddy: No
Me: Haha, now you have no ground on that circuit
My buddy: So, I just plugged in that vacuum and it worked fine.
Me: I'm sure it did, hey if someone came in here with a plug tester it would say that you have an open ground, that means no path back to the panel in order for the circuit to trip if you had a fault in your three pronged appliance.
My buddy: Hey, Bob Villa isn't going to come in here with a tester and check my outlets.
Me: No but an inspector would, you should have waited until I got here man.
My buddy: Okay let's not get carried away with this. Let me show you the lights I want up.......

a truck with new bigger tires and rims works fine until you have to stop and realize you should not have left the brakes off in order to install the new rims!
WRECK !!

chris1971

It's always nice when I have to tell a homeowner that I need to cut open a finished wall to correct someone elses mistakes.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Mine was the classic

"Well whoever the yahoo was that did this, didn't know what he was doing."

"I'm the yahoo."

"See that's my point, and that's why I'm here now."

:D

SPARKS40

Walk away.....let his brother-in-law install the lights too. What do you think is going to happen when the fire starts?? "Well, Mark the electrician was here installing some lights....." Chances are, the previous scab work won't be mentioned.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
It's always nice when I have to tell a homeowner that I need to cut open a finished wall to correct someone elses mistakes.

Just say sorry about the mess.

BainJBox001.jpg

BainJBox002.jpg

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
After letting a friend try two times to get the proper dryer receptacle he said, "Can you just run the circuit? Is the receptacle labeled?" I said, "I could tell you how to hook up the outlet but I've seen your handy work."

He laughed. I'll be hooking up the receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.