Surge or lighnting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

I have a customer who wants me to install a surge protector on the main panel as he has a lot of computers and the like. I sell the Intermatic model and never had an issue. My question is:

When I went to look at the job there already was a lightning surge protector installed in the panel. Will this do the same as a surge protector or is a lightning protector different?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From your description, there's no difference. If the existing unit is older, it may no longer be functioning. They actually sustain a bit of damage with each spike they intercept.

I suggest explaining this to him, ask if he'd still like it replaced, and add some point-of-use protection as well. Read the connected-equipment warranty fine-print carefully.

Oakey

TBH he didn't know he even had one in there, so Im trying to avoid any double standard, I believe surge will give a % of protection over the norm and lighting is for the big stuff, Im just not sure if there's any conflict between them as I have never seen them both in a panel at the same time and wanted to know if that's ok to do that. The lightning Prot is about 15 years old so Ill check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.