Transformers for Voltage Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dereck, I haven?t done the math but using one of the online calculators I get a 3.8% drop using 4/0 AL. I based this on 30 amps @ 240 volts since you should be able to have the 120 volt loads reasonably balanced. You will probably have a noticeable flicker when any motor load starts but that may be acceptable for the cost savings. You might want to check the price of 4/0 triplex or individual type USE wire. Remember you will also be paying for some losses with the transformers even if there is no load.

dereckbc

Staff member
Dereck, I haven?t done the math but using one of the online calculators I get a 3.8% drop using 4/0 AL. I based this on 30 amps @ 240 volts since you should be able to have the 120 volt loads reasonably balanced. You will probably have a noticeable flicker when any motor load starts but that may be acceptable for the cost savings. You might want to check the price of 4/0 triplex or individual type USE wire. Remember you will also be paying for some losses with the transformers even if there is no load.
Interesting, just pinged a local supplier for 4/0-4/0-2/0 triplex AL USE and they want $3.40 per foot at 1500 feet comes in at $5100.

Status
Not open for further replies.