access panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

For gyp. ceiling we need to have access panel, which code address this item, it it NEC? Thanks!

anbm

Can you point out for me specific section of building code address this? Who is responsible for this? It it electrical engineer or architect? We had some recessed lights in gyp. ceiling and contractor said there is no access panel...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The only section of the NEC that comes to mind where certain sized "access" panels is required is 600.21. There may be others, but I don't recall any.
Other equipment, junction boxes, etc are required to be accessible but no specifics are given.

The IRC Building Code requires access to certain attica in Section R807

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We had some recessed lights in gyp. ceiling and contractor said there is no access panel...
Most recessed lights provide their own access. What kind of lights are they? Fluorescents or standard cans?

anbm

They are compact fluorescent downlight...so if we have to install (2) can lights in gyp. board ceiling - 8' apart using emt conduit, should we install conduit before gyp. ceiling in?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They are compact fluorescent downlight...so if we have to install (2) can lights in gyp. board ceiling - 8' apart using emt conduit, should we install conduit before gyp. ceiling in?
Absolutely!

Recessed fixtured don't require above-ceiling access after installation because the housing can be removed from the frame, and the J-box has a cover that faces the hole.

construct

Can you point out for me specific section of building code address this? Who is responsible for this?

2006 IBC section 1209.2 requires an opening to any attic area having a clear height of over 30 inches. 2006 IRC section R807.1 requires an attic access opening to attic areas that exceed 30 sf and have a vertical height of 30 inches or more (as Augie mentioned).

Architects will generally design one due to the fact that they want their drawings as code compliant as possible. However, it is the responsibility of the person doing the work to provide one, even if it is not shown on the drawings and the structure meets the above mentioned measurements. (At least in my neck of the woods

480sparky

Absolutely!

Recessed fixtured don't require above-ceiling access after installation because the housing can be removed from the frame, and the J-box has a cover that faces the hole.

Otherwise, a 2+story house would either have no cans on the first floor, or there would be a lot of little access panels required.

FWIW, removing recessed cans is an easy way to gain access to a ceiling for whatever reason, such as running new circuits and such.

bobsherwood

I do not like to work through a six inch hole to change a ballast and an emergency ballast. If a can light is install in dry wall, I require an access panel.
NFPA 70 E 130.6 (B) adresses "blind reaching". We do not do it on this campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.