4G Slater Nail On Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Can anyone tell me what that metal strip that comes with these boxes is supposed to used for? I can't even take a guess as to how many I've thrown away.......

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You have to pull it out and insert the metal strip in the groove on the side of the box. This prevents the far side of the box from being push in. The metal bracket should bump the sheetrock on the opposite side of the wall keeping it steady.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
You have to pull it out and insert the metal strip in the groove on the side of the box. This prevents the far side of the box from being push in. The metal bracket should bump the sheetrock on the opposite side of the wall keeping it steady.

Oops, you snuck that post in on me. But that was what I was thinking.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I think the "Phantom Stud" is a much more effective way to firm up the box. The metal strip seems kinda cheesey.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I use the metal strip. Why make more work than necessary? And how can you say it's cheesy when you don't even know what it is? :D

So you're saying a small metal strip is a more secure install than a piece of 2X4? Ok......let me restate my concern. The "concept" of the metal strip seems cheesey. With the sheetrockers around here, that metal strip wouldn't last a minute.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Ok, I actually took the time to look at the 4G on the opposite side of the nails. I see where the strip plugs in and I'll give it a try on my next house. Scott likes the finished result so it can't be all that bad:cool:. Thanks for the enlightenment...........seriously:)

electricmanscott

Ok, I actually took the time to look at the 4G on the opposite side of the nails. I see where the strip plugs in and I'll give it a try on my next house. Scott likes the finished result so it can't be all that bad:cool:. Thanks for the enlightenment...........seriously:)

Maybe I should start a product endorsement website. :grin:

Seriously though I have used them and I have tossed them. I don't think it really makes a big difference with or without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.