Basic electrical theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

I am wondering, because I learned the trade in the military where theory is the base of everything.

To become a "Certified electrican" do you ever have to learn basic electrical theory? I don't mean this question in any demeaning way, I just don't know the answer.

For example:
Series and paralell circuit calulations
Power equations for the 3 types of power
Use of basic test equipment

For example, click here and take the basic electricity test. I think everyone should be able to pass this basic test.

http://www.avotraining.com/avo-assessment-tests.php#BasicElec

iwire

Staff member
To become a "Certified electrician" do you ever have to learn basic electrical theory? I don't mean this question in any demeaning way, I just don't know the answer.

This will be all over the map, even in my area someone my age or older may have only had to pass a pretty basic test. The new guys here have 600 hrs of school requirements and I have to imagine some of that is basic theory.:)

peter d

As Bob said, theory is part of the apprenticeship programs of all the state mandated/approved programs that I am aware of in New England.

That said, just because someone sits in a class and the instructor teaches theory does not mean any of the students actually learn it. I found that only a small percentage of my classmates cared about theory when I was in school, and likewise only a small percentage of electricians in the field can actually apply electrical theory to their jobs. I think the lack of theory is why grounding and bonding are so misunderstood, among other problems.

cadpoint

Case history:

I was exposed first, in structured college classes.

Years later, I took all the electrical classes at another community college, all before I was ever even became an electrician...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, I only got a 96. I missed the two questions about Coulomb. What's in a name? :cool:

I think a good basic understanding of theory is very important. Knowing how electricity works helps to choose the best way to improvise, which we have to do sometimes.

zog

I think a good basic understanding of theory is very important. Knowing how electricity works helps to choose the best way to improvise, which we have to do sometimes.

Agreed, decisions have to be made and those decisions sometimes need to be based on sound theory.

P.S. Good job Larry, I would expect you to do well.

DownRiverGUy

I had the opposite approach...

I was taught theory in all my EE classes and then learned the bulk of the practical wiring/code during my senior project.

You learn pretty quick when you have a crew of IBEW guys poking fun at you for being an engineer and doing silly mistakes;)

All in good fun thou and I think that every EE needs both to be worth anything!

cpal

The big problem is not so much with mandated education. the license tests are somewhat standardized and the number and complexity of theory questions are basic at best. That being said most tests that I have reviewed seem to be slanted one could do poorly on the problems and or theory questions and if they do well extracting the right answer on the code questions, they generally can pass. I have been in a room of investigators and educators and could not seem to come to a consensus on how many theory questions are needed and the degree of difficulty. .

In Ma the 600 hour requirement is seat time, and our licensing board has passed regulations to diminish the class hours from secondary accredited vocational schools. The VoTech is where the class hours are only granted if a passing grade is acquired. Go figure.

ed downey

Sitting in an office most days I tend not to use this information that much on a daily basis so I was a little rusty. That being said I did get an 88.

walkerj

Well, in Louisiana there is no continuing ed. for electricians.

I don't believe there is any theory on the contractor's exam either.

Most electricians I know don't think you need to know any theory and usually pick on me because I try to be 'well rounded'

joebell

In Ma the 600 hour requirement is seat time, and our licensing board has passed regulations to diminish the class hours from secondary accredited vocational schools. The VoTech is where the class hours are only granted if a passing grade is acquired. Go figure.

I don't get it they seem to be making it tougher to get in the trade, you still teaching?
Did you have to modify your curriculum, as I understand it they Board is trying to standardize the education in the form of modules.

Zog I'm in the same boat as you, I spent about 6 weeks in BEE in the Navy learning theroy before they sent me to my specialized training. I agree with Larry it makes for a solid foundation.

agreed

agreed

Well, in Louisiana there is no continuing ed. for electricians.

I don't believe there is any theory on the contractor's exam either.

Most electricians I know don't think you need to know any theory and usually pick on me because I try to be 'well rounded'

My thoughts exactly...they bust my chops for being an advocate for theory, but they sure get humble when they need help.

shamsdebout

I had the opposite approach...

I was taught theory in all my EE classes and then learned the bulk of the practical wiring/code during my senior project.

You learn pretty quick when you have a crew of IBEW guys poking fun at you for being an engineer and doing silly mistakes;)

All in good fun thou and I think that every EE needs both to be worth anything!

Its funny you mention your experience. I had a class similar to that which I paid absolutely no attention to I truly regret that now. (I didn't think I would land in this line of work) When I was taking the course though there were a couple electricians who were amazed at how well the students design was.

cpal

I don't get it they seem to be making it tougher to get in the trade, y,ou still teaching?
Did you have to modify your curriculum, as I understand it they Board is trying to standardize the education in the form of modules..

Retired as of Sep. 09

It's easier to get a BA then a Jy lic

BEE AE A school Jax Fla. 1970. basic review of HS but it left time for liberty.;) in St Augustine

marti smith

zog, I went thru an apprenticeship program (which I thought was great) although at the time, I didn't think I'd use the theory like I actually do. There have been some great posts on voltage drop and other calcs here on the forum that I have printed out for the guys to take home for homework. They have not had basic theory and one gentleman in particular is enamored with it, as it puts a how with the why, or the other way around. I think we all should have basic theory. I don't know that I would get by without it in the field. There were, however, some navy guys in my class and they already had it down pat!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.