Oxidizing of receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

I was looking at a condo on the NJ shore (across the street from the ocean). Place is about 15 years old. When inserting my tester into the many of the receptacles within the east and south outside walls, the tines had a tough time getting in - felt like sandpaper.

My guess is that moisture in these walls (which get pummeled during nor'easters), coupled with the ocean/salt environment, is the cause. I am recommending that all receptacles be replaced and a further analysis by I licensed electrical contractor. However, I am also concerned as to the conditionm of the wiring (metal clad) that is in the walls.

Has anyone had experience with this?

e57

Nope - not had anything like it before. A few beach-front communities around here do not allow MC, FMC, and or EMT conceraled or exposed... And the same also require copper SEC's - Yes - I would also suggest an EC evaluate... Salt air can be like battery acid....

macmikeman

I see this all the time on the island I live on. Not even always right at the beach. Exterior walls can become little wind tunnels that carry salt laden air from outside to the inside via ko openings in receptacle outlet boxes and loose fitting plates. Interior walls do not seem to get the problems so bad. The bottom of t-11 siding usually does not get sealed properly along the bottom of the exterior and that is where the air goes in.

I have worked in ocean front communities that did not permit the use of metallic wiring methods, required solid GEC conductors and no weatherheads. They wanted goosenecks instead. All plastic boxes as well. Even plastic device covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.