Obsolete Square D "QOC 8S" panel cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipdybel

I'm looking for Square D panel covers, for an obsolete "QO Load Center".

The model number I'm looking for is "QOC 8S".

On the front of it is the panel's model number: "Cat. No. QO8-16 / Series L4".
On the rear is its model number: "Front Cat. No. QOC 8S / Series L4".

Alternatively, I could use "QOC 8DF" or "QOC 8F" (Series L4).

I will need 8 of these to complete a remodel (service grandfathered).
Any condition is acceptable.

Oh, I've already tried internet searches and eBay.

Thank you for any help or leads,
Philip Dybel

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Phil, welcome to the forum! :)

The lack of responses isn't a good sign, is it? You might end up having to custom-drill another cover with the same breaker openings, or even have one made.

philipdybel

Thanks, but...

Thanks, but...

LarryFine: Thank you. I too am surprised by the lack of availability -- must have seen 100 of these panels in the last 20 years. Will keep turning over every unturned stone I can find...

normbac: Thank you. I'll try Western Enterprises on Monday.

Today I secured a machinist to laser cut a prototype. But I'm not looking forward to their bill...

Anyone else?

Riograndeelectric

I had a dead front custom made for a Pushmatic panel a couple of years ago.

I was lucky enough that the next door Neighbor had the same panel so I took the dead front from them and took it to a machine shop. surprisingly they only charged me $60.00
must have been my lucky day. it might save on cost if they have a template of one. any chance you might be able to find another panel like this that has the cover and borrow it to have a copy made.

philipdybel

[normbac: Btw, I've searched all internet elec. boneyards I can find: "Square d", "QOC", Q0C", etc. Emails to about 30; success 0. Do you have info on others?]

Riograndeelectric: I do have an actual cover in-hand, gave my local machine shop drawings for a flat replacement (I don't need it recessed, if I shim out the chassis 3/8"). Laser cutting: guess $60 if I'm lucky, x 8 = forget about that huge "job bonus".

I'd rather buy it "used" for $20 (?) + shipping?

kbsparky

Not necessarily. I was looking for an obsolete cover a while back, it it took a few days for someone with one sitting in his shop to respond.

You never know what is lurking in some of the old shops out there ... ;)

OP: Do you have a picture of the cover you are looking for?

philipdybel

[Riograndeelectric: Thank you.]

480sparky: Thank you. Since 11/22, I've sent out several dozen boneyard inquiries to each one that might have this. Responses: all negative. Can easily post a list of all such boneyards I've found (if this might assist another member).

Would you suggest I just wait, or ask again ("bump" request)?

philipdybel

a picture?

a picture?

kbsparky: Thanks. Still waiting, hoping. Here's a pic of what I need from eBay:

!Bf8P!C!!mk~$(KGrHqYH-CgEsLPGRlujBLDSyVvOWg~~_35.JPG

normbac

[normbac: Btw, I've searched all internet elec. boneyards I can find: "Square d", "QOC", Q0C", etc. Emails to about 30; success 0. Do you have info on others?]

No but try them, never know :confused:

kbsparky

kbsparky: Thanks. Still waiting, hoping. Here's a pic of what I need from eBay:

%21Bf8P%21C%21%21mk%7E$%28KGrHqYH-CgEsLPGRlujBLDSyVvOWg%7E%7E_35.JPG

I have had one or 2 of those hanging around in the shop over the years. Since we recently cleaned out most of the old junk, I don't believe we have any out there right now ( I think we donated one such panel to the Habitat Re-store a couple months ago).

I will check on Monday next time I'm over there, just to be sure.

philipdybel

Got covers laser-cut

Got covers laser-cut

Since I couldn't find these covers anywhere, I saw that a flat cover would work -- if I shimmed out the chassis 1/4". This chassis mounted onto 1/4-20 studs, so that's easy.

First, drew a diagram, with exact measurements of the cutouts needed. Then, found a shop, that laser-cut them out of 18-gauge galvanized -- for $10 each. Installed easily, they look professional, and the job is done.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Status
Not open for further replies.