light bulbs not lasting

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Light Bulbs burning out can also be an indication of a serious electrical problems. not a good idea to just dismiss it to cheap bulbs.
IMO this could very easily be corrected by improving the contact at the base of the lamp - barring any serious voltage problems. Sometimes I just re-bend and clean the center contact inside the lamp base - problem gone.... But sometimes it can be an arcing contact in a splice anywhere in the circuit....

Theres a lite bulb in a fire station thats been on for 107 years
That bulb is in a town to the south of here - it has a web cam... (Follow the links to centenial bulb) It has been on nearly continuosly - including remodeling of the building...

That said - I have a bulb in my bath fan - that has never been replaced to my knowledge - but the fan will be replaced next month...

TwinCitySparky

Well if you read your instructions with the fixture its kinda never done but i learned this in electricians school .http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/manuals/S4_HID_Parnel_UL_User_Guide.pdf

If you get the oil from your hand meaning your finger print it will stay on the lamp glass this will create a hot spot heat will be more intense on that spot .

This was a basic rule install for us in the navy when it came to lamps clean it or burn it .[ Check out installing a lamp HID]

Right on the HID. Old news to most I would think.

You said any bulb before. While I'm sure this is true with some higher wattage bulbs, I would think it would have no effect on most lower watt bulbs. I got that from hard knock U. :grin:

ohmhead

Well heres that bulb its been on many years
180px-Bulb.jpg

Yes your correct it doesnt really matter on a regular bulb we use everyday but its not totally true as some do have different noble gases inside depends on what you buy and were . Most standard bulbs have argon with a little nitrogen but some you can buy large globe types it matters.

But i clean a regular also it matters to me .

Today they make cheap junk that will not last anyway so its not worth the effort

I guess its what one or has seen though the years i just seen lots of light in my old years .
:D

Last edited:

TwinCitySparky

Well heres that bulb its been on many years
180px-Bulb.jpg

Yes your correct it doesnt really matter on a regular bulb we use everyday but its not totally true as some do have different noble gases inside depends on what you buy and were . Most standard bulbs have argon with a little nitrogen but some you can buy large globe types it matters.

But i clean a regular also it matters to me .

Today they make cheap junk that will not last anyway so its not worth the effort

I guess its what one or has seen though the years i just seen lots of light in my old years .
:D

I appreciate the info.

Working at Phillips lighting for three years taught me that the only difference between Phillips, Sylvania, and G&E was the stamp we put on the machine that day.

But don't let that ruin your hypothesis

ohmhead

Working at Phillips lighting for three years taught me that the only difference between Phillips, Sylvania, and G&E was the stamp we put on the machine that day.

But don't let that ruin your hypothesis

Well its funny but i worked during 11th & 12th grade for General Electric in a bulb plant in New Jersey our school Edison High school had a Trade & Industry program you went to school 2 periods and worked a 8 hour shift at the plant in high school .

It was for kids that didnt like school and to keep us out of trouble so i worked electrical maintance in the GE plant thats how i got to know a little about lamps and bulbs they took us under there wing in hopes we would stay working for them for 20 years so they had bulb school after work and payed us overtime to attend it and lamps & bulbs theory was the main topic .

Best part was we got $14.50 per hour regular pay in 1968 and my folks always had a good supply of bulbs at our house.

The bulbs that didnt get the stamp ! and you could not tell what wattage was what but they were free!

Last edited:

ohmhead

It seems as though you have to start every post with the word "Well":grin:

Ill make this one time exception but its a habit of the way i talk my other word is whatsyamightcallit its kinda bad up bringing in my old neighborhood
we never payed attention in english class also i dont spell good but i can do electrical work sometimes .

Heres what i tell my boss if you wanted a secretary then electricians school should have a course in taking dictation / typing/ filing /and the like !
I guess today it would be computer skills and spell check .

ITs ok i get that alot :D

Last edited:

greenjeans

Inactive, Email Never Verified
it may be a loose rivit connection on the socket, cause a very small arc, yet turning the bulb on and off spiking it will pop the filiment in the bulb, IMHO. also dirty paint overspray in the socket can do the same thing. i replace the sockets and had no more problems........ except kids run and jumping on the floor above, also knocking out the lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.