conduit install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Can any one give me the code numbers that says all the conduit and fittings must be installed and in place before any wire can be pulled in. Ive never understood that , there are cases where it really helps to slide the conduit over the wire and im sure we have all done it. Thanks

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
can any one give me the code numbers that says all the conduit and fittings must be installed and in place before any wire can be pulled in. Ive never understood that , there are cases where it really helps to slide the conduit over the wire and im sure we have all done it. Thanks

300.18 (2008 nec)

jetlag

Thanks for replies

Thanks for replies

I can see it on long runs of metal conduit that might dig in the wire when you slide it over. But I cant see whats wrong with sliding a pvc 90 over conductors then a joint of pvc pipe then another 90 and then glue it . Its an easy install that way. Try pulling a 4/0 mobile home feeder thru this set up in 2" pvc from a pedestal to inside panel. Since this is a short run is it allowed by the exception 300.18.

tkb

I think the exception permits this.

I can see it on long runs of metal conduit that might dig in the wire when you slide it over. But I cant see whats wrong with sliding a pvc 90 over conductors then a joint of pvc pipe then another 90 and then glue it . Its an easy install that way. Try pulling a 4/0 mobile home feeder thru this set up in 2" pvc from a pedestal to inside panel. Since this is a short run is it allowed by the exception 300.18.

Only for a sleeve to protect a cable from physical damage.

Exception: Short sections of raceways used to contain conductors or cable assemblies for protection from physical damage shall not be required to be installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points.

jetlag

long sleeve

long sleeve

Only for a sleeve to protect a cable from physical damage.

Well it doesnt call it a sleeve it calls it a raceway and it doesnt give a max length. It says it can have outlet and junction boxes at each end. So why cant it be a joint of pvc pipe. I believe 300.18 was intended for mostly long commercial runs with metal conduit. That is quite different from sliding one joint of pvc carefully over a conductor in a trench where there is nothing to damage the conductors

Okay, I'm not an electrician or electrical contractor, so I never ever post here - lost my log-in info, actually. But this thread was obviously started in response to this thread at Terry Love's... so... here I am, cross-posting my response. I'm guessing our odds of having a code-guru settle the question, is a lot higher over here.

I think you've completely misunderstood the exception.

A reference to 300.15 (C), 334.15 (B), and so on, would make it less confusing, I suppose... or you can just read what's written, without trying to "read in" what isn't there:

Exception: Short sections of raceways used to contain conductors or cable assemblies for protection from physical damage shall not be required to be installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points.

It's not saying anything about the sequence. Nothing about assembly before, or after, wire-pulling.

All it's saying, is that when you're using a short run of conduit for physical protection, it doesn't have to be a complete assembly. That if the only reason you're running conduit is for physical protection, you only have to run conduit where it needs protection, not all the way back to both boxes.

The exception is there, because otherwise 300.18 would contradict 300.15 (C), 334.15 (B), and so on.

2006%20code%20update%20training.JPG

from: http://www.co.henrico.va.us/dyn/med_...00/318/NEC.pdf.

As for your weird little notion about "especially with PVC" (here and at Holt's)... ever wonder what PVC cement might do to the wire insulation?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Frenchie, I'd say your read of the exception is correct, it doesn't contain anything to negate the "complete conduits before wire" concept.

I would say that your "unprofessional" statement might have been going a little far, but that could be because I did just what they are describing yesterday. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.