derating question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

We have 10' gutters, some are nippled together, some have longer raceway (emt) connecting them. So as more and more wires start to build as were pulling threw the emt, is the derating based on the one conduit with the most wires in it? I hope this makes sense?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I believe each conduit would stand on it's own. For example a #12 sharing a conduit with 15 ccc would have a different ampacity as the same #12 in a conduit with 22 ccc. I would think that rather than having to change wires sizes in most situations you would just size to the worst case scenario.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don't forget that if you have more than 30 current carrying conductors at any cross section of the wireway you will also have to derate. 376.22(B)

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
code book is in truck and it is snowing, I think you can only fill nipples 60% even 24" and smaller.

benaround

Zappy,

I think you will find that more smaller conduits, with 9 CCC or less, is a better way to go

than fewer larger sized conduits, with over 9 CCC. jmo.

rikthejman

Theres a great example of gutter fill in Art 376 (NEC Handbook 2008) So, I guess if you are 24" or less on your EMT then you don't have to derate. Then you have to watch your fill (20% of cross section) and no derate until 30 CCC in the gutter. At least thats what I see from your question.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.