Inverters and generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Energy-Miser

Hi everyone. I have not seen a design in which standby load is supplied by solar inverter and a standby generator at the same time (when utility power is out), in an attempt to reduce the generator's load, when the sun is also shining. A customer who has a standby gen asked if this could be done. My first instinct is to say no, let's not mix the two, but would like to hear your opinion, code references, etc. Thanks, E/M

Jim W in Tampa

Just how often is your poco down ? Here for other than if a hurricane takes us down it is under 10 hours a year and maybe less than 3. Last time was maybe 7 hours because a drunk took down 2 poles on our street. Unless your dealing with high outage i would not go to both to save money. Have not seen any solar system to begin to be a cheap way for electric.

Energy-Miser

Thanks, yes I know that solar/generator/battery back up combination can be done, with charge controller functionality included etc. But we only install sysems with micro-inverters (one per pv panel), and they can only work with utility connection (no battery storage option). These inverters, like central inverters, sense the utility power and turn on only when the utility power is there, and is stable. The customer was wondering, why they can not do the same thing with the generator, and co-generate with it. My first thought is what if none of the connected loads are on, solar and generator both running, where is the power going to go?

Energy-Miser

Just how often is your poco down ? Here for other than if a hurricane takes us down it is under 10 hours a year and maybe less than 3. Last time was maybe 7 hours because a drunk took down 2 poles on our street. Unless your dealing with high outage i would not go to both to save money. Have not seen any solar system to begin to be a cheap way for electric.
All true. Would not be something I would recommend to anyone. It just came up in a conversation between a customer and a sales staff at our company.

Status
Not open for further replies.