6' Rule or Article 210.52 (A) (1) Spacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teslafan01

Aloha, Mike Holt Forum

In the NEC 08'- Article 210.52 (A) (1) Spacing states;
Receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8m (6' ft) from a receptacle outlet.

The question...
Six feet from the door way is a receptacle then six more feet should be a receptacle.
In many illustrated diagrams shows - Six feet from the door way is a receptacle then twelve more feet would be a receptacle.

I do not understand where the magic number of twelve is in the stated article.

However from experience I know that six than twelve is correct.
Why is this? Does something to do with a six foot cord attached to a lamp? From what I understand from the Article six foot and twelve foot is not to code.:-?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Notice that it does not say anything about the receptacles being 6 ft apart. It says no point more than 6 ft from a receptacle. Picture your lamp with a 6 ft cord. Once you plug it into the 1st receptacle, you can move it down the wall for 6 ft. At that point you can unplug it from the 1st outlet and plug it into the 2nd one (which is 12 ft from the 1st). At no point was the lamp more than 6 ft from a receptacle.

Jim W in Tampa

You can have up to 12 feet between them. 6 feet from the first plus the 6 feet from the second. You might try to get the nec handbook. It will help but do keep in mind it is opinion not code. 99.9 % of the time it will be right. It has pictures

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To keep it straight for my guys, I call it the 6-12-12-6-foot rule, which applies to any wall space 2' or wider.

Also, countertops have what I call the 2-4-4-2-foot rule, which applies to any countertop space 1' or wider.

The idea is to eliminate need for extension cords. Just remember 6' lamp cord and 2' appliance cord lengths.

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

Also if your on the designing end of this keep in mind these are max distances which often will not end up in smart locations. Try and place them where beds, dressers,sofa ,etc will not block them. Always nice to have 1 on both sides of the bed and couch and one near where the TV will be. If the electrician is trying he will manage to do this. It might require an extra 1 or 2 but customer will be happy. An extra receptacle on residential adds nothing to the load. Depending on inspector the electrician may or may not be able to modify your design.

malty

If you walk into the room blindfolded and put your finger on any place along the wall there will be a receptacle within 6 ft horizontally of your finger. Same with counter tops, but 2ft from your finger.

resistance

If you walk into the room blindfolded and put your finger on any place along the wall there will be a receptacle within 6 ft horizontally of your finger. Same with counter tops, but 2ft from your finger.

So what if you put your finger 1 foot away from a wall receptacle outlet located in a bedroom. You are saying the next will be within 5 feet away? Not true!!! The next one could be 11 feet away.

resistance

To keep it straight for my guys, I call it the 6-12-12-6-foot rule, which applies to any wall space 2' or wider.

Also, countertops have what I call the 2-4-4-2-foot rule, which applies to any countertop space 1' or wider.

The idea is to eliminate need for extension cords. Just remember 6' lamp cord and 2' appliance cord lengths.
Exactly!!!!! The above is what we call it, and have been calling it since day one.

malty

So what if you put your finger 1 foot away from a wall receptacle outlet located in a bedroom. You are saying the next will be within 5 feet away? Not true!!! The next one could be 11 feet away.
You need to take a reading comprehenshion course.
What I was trying to get across is that if you use the 12ft or 4ft rule there will be a receptacle 6ft of wherever your finger is,not the next receptacle. This fellow seemed confused about how and why 12 rule works and I was just trying to give him a better perspective of how and why it works. So if you put your finger on the wall 1ft from a receptacle that receptacle IS within 6ft of your finger. I never said the next receptacle would be within 6ft. Sorry if I CONFUSED YOU. I was trying to make it simple so he would understand. Ihope you do now.

nakulak

well, fact is if you put your finger on my wall my wife would most likely cut it off, and all you would have is a streak of blood along the wall from the stump on your hand to the next receptacle.

Jim W in Tampa

If you comprehend the NEC the same as my simple comment your going to mess up big time.
LOL

And if you put all them fingerprints on my wall, you will be standing in the corner. LOL
Seriously i always thought the spacing issue was easy other than exactly what may or may not be a wall and exactly what breaks up a wall. NEC is clear as mud.

malty

You need to take a reading comprehenshion course.
What I was trying to get across is that if you use the 12ft or 4ft rule there will be a receptacle 6ft of wherever your finger is,not the next receptacle. This fellow seemed confused about how and why 12 rule works and I was just trying to give him a better perspective of how and why it works. So if you put your finger on the wall 1ft from a receptacle that receptacle IS within 6ft of your finger. I never said the next receptacle would be within 6ft. Sorry if I CONFUSED YOU. I was trying to make it simple so he would understand. Ihope you do now.

Sorry about 4ft on the above comment. Using 4ft on countertop your finger will be within 2ft of a receptacle. I don't want to confuse anyone more than they are now.
And I wash my hands before touching the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.