Will this legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

This is just an assumption, not a real case but I am wondering...

If I work in consulting firm, has PE and... on the weekend, I design and seal set of construction document (or you call it side work) for contractor to get extra bucks, will this legal? I only do this on weekend only.

Same question, if I design and not seal the drawings for contractor on the weekend, will it be legal? Will my current company has the right to against me or fire me since the design I do the contractor is not type of projects that my current company usually do.

cadpoint

You really have to find out and understand your State laws and status relating to construction!

There are way too many variables, aspects of what’s "allowed" to this to be answered here, IMO.

My Assumption:
Business wise it sounds like a conflict of interest, but that should be between one and their employer.
Business wise it sounds like someone is thinking of the liability of it all, due to not understanding the opening line!
Business wise it sounds like this is totally under the table, more of an observation on my part.

Tell us what State your in maybe someone can help you better!

Last edited:

dkarst

Another important point here is liability... your employer's insurance likely covers you for work done on their behalf... if you are designing/stamping outside of the company... what is your liability coverage?

gmtt

Regardless of legibility (it is not illegal though), it will be unethical. As a PE, people (including your employer) expect you to be ethical (ethics is just below the legal limit!). You should discuss with your employer. If it is not a conflict of interest, probably they will accept (if they think they are not paying you enough & assuming that you?re working full time with your current employer ? if you are not full time, I think there should not be any problem).

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My company has a written policy that covers that situation, and so have several of my previous companies. The basic principles are that I can't do side work that adversely influences my ability to do the work my company is paying me to do, that I can't do work that is in direct competition with my company, and that I can't use any company resources (including computers, printers, and copiers).

For example, if a church wanted to hire me to do a rennovation design for them, I could do that work during evenings and weekends, using only my own computer at home. That is in part because my company does not have any churches as clients. However, if my company needed me to work late on one of their projects, and if I instead went home to work on my side job, that would be grounds for firing me.

skeshesh

Charlie covered it pretty well as usual. I think the insurance issue is also pretty important as well. I don't think there's an ethical issue working on the side unless if its pretty much direct competition with your employer or, like Charlie said, your work outside is actually effecting the quality of work you do for your primary employer.

drbond24

I agree that Charlie covered it well. My company has the very same policy as he mentioned.

When I passed the PE in my state, they sent me a booklet containing all of the rules and expectations associated with having the license. You need to find that document for your state and read it, then find your employer's policy on the matter and read it. After that, you'll know what you can and cannot do.

At that point, before you actually design anything on your own, you'll need to consider what would happen if your design burned to the ground (insert any other disaster you can think of here) and you got sued. You need insurance before you start anything like that on the side, and probably should discuss the matter with a lawyer to make sure you aren't digging your own grave.

These are just my opinions on the matter. I have not pursued actually doing side work myself, but this is where I would start if I did.

Last edited:

wawireguy

If you can legaly do this type of work then start your own side business with all the licenses, insurance and liability that go along with it. Otherwise if your company catches you using their name and infering that their company has signed off on prints they are not going to just fire you. Lawsuit and you having a future employment problem at other companies comes to mind.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
In most cases, if you are a PE you are always a PE. You are expected to act in an ethical manner and provide due diligence regardless whether you stamp and seal your work.

anbm

Thanks for all the comments, the backup insurance and engineering ethic should be big factors.

rcwilson

Regarding engineering liability insurance. A respected PE in the Seattle Area who designed a lot of commercial buildings told me he stopped carrying insurance.

His theory was that insurance gave him "deep pockets" and made him a lawsuit target. His three employee business did not have a lot of assets and his home wasn't paid for. He was careful in his work and kept his clients happy. When something did happen on a project, he provided the lawyers with his net worth statement and that was it. The lawyers went after the Electrical Contractor or the equipment supplier and left him alone.

He retired as a respected engineer and sold the business to his employees.

I still wouldn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.