Electrical Service Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mripoll

On new residential construction, what is the minimum amount of open spaces in the service panel required to allow for future circuit breaker add ons? The service coming into the house is 200 amp and the entire panel was filled upon completion of the house construction. Was this within code?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There is no related code requirement. It is not a good design practice to use up all the available spaces, but it is not a code violation.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As Charlieb states, no Code violation. If it helps you in discussion it is "encouraged" in 90.8

wawireguy

The panel may not really be filled, if the breakers are full size breakers you can probably put mini breakers in. For every two full size breakers you take out you can put in four mini style breakers usually.

480sparky

The panel may not really be filled, if the breakers are full size breakers you can probably put mini breakers in. For every two full size breakers you take out you can put in four mini style breakers usually.

That's far from an accurate generalization. Some panels may accept tandems...... many won't.

electricalperson

good luck working in a 42 circuit panel with all mini breakers. i worked in a panel that had mostly minibreakers and it looked like a bowl of spaghetti. no space on egc or neutral bar at all. everything was doubled up under the screws

It's not an NEC requirement to have open spaces, but it's not uncommon for it to be a local requirement.

Oklahoma City (admittedly I haven't been a contractor there for a few years) used to require a minimum of 3 open spaces, as well as a 3/4" conduit into the attic space for future work. Not sure if this is still required.

Last edited:

electricmanscott

I don't even want to think about 60 circuits in a single load center.

Do they come with a shoe horn so you can get the cover on?

It's all about the installer. ;)

Thers is no reason a 60 ckt panel cant be as neat or neater than a 30. There is no need to leave all that extra wire that guys seem to leave. I'll never understand what makes people loop the wire to the bottom of the panel and then back up to the breaker.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's all about the installer. ;)

Thers is no reason a 60 ckt panel cant be as neat or neater than a 30. There is no need to leave all that extra wire that guys seem to leave. I'll never understand what makes people loop the wire to the bottom of the panel and then back up to the breaker.

Ditto that. :roll:

W=EI

There are differwent ways to determine load and fill. If you find a circuit that is lightly loaded...and many are. If the 200 amp service is not at full capacity and few are. Then PERHAPS if you are sure of these items it may be possible to double-up a load onto the same breaker and gain some space... At least in a newer circuit breaker installation...now the old knob&tube; never...the old fuse boxes; rarely...those circuits were on pennies or 30amp fuses...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.