hook up question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

A customer wants a back up generator installed on his property.
It will be a 7000 watts (continuous run rated) on wheels generator. He don't want to run a lot from it, just the necessities.
Around here there's a lot of " rigged up specials ", but i will not do something if it means unsafe or unprofessional.Anyways he don't want to spend the money for a transfer box and a fancy set up, it won't be inspected but that's not excuse, my name will be on it if i do it.

-Is there's any other way you would hook this up?, like a receptacle type box, you could use?

HO told me somebody hooked up some kind of receptacle outside where the HO cuts the main 200 amp breaker outside and back feed thru this receptacle.

Excuse my ignorance regarding this type of installation,i thought i'd ask you all first.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

480sparky

Here's how I do it:

Install a "Power Inlet". Wire that to one 2-pole SqD QO breaker feeding a small subpanel.​

Next to that breaker, install another breaker that is fed from the main panel.

Install a QO2DTI between them. Run all the 'emergency' loads out of that panel.

Now, when power goes out, you plug the genny into the power inlet. Fire it up, and manually transfer power from the utility to the genny with the two breakers.

DSC04782a.jpg

wireguru

A customer wants a back up generator installed on his property.
It will be a 7000 watts (continuous run rated) on wheels generator. He don't want to run a lot from it, just the necessities.
Around here there's a lot of " rigged up specials ", but i will not do something if it means unsafe or unprofessional.Anyways he don't want to spend the money for a transfer box and a fancy set up, it won't be inspected but that's not excuse, my name will be on it if i do it.

-Is there's any other way you would hook this up?, like a receptacle type box, you could use?

HO told me somebody hooked up some kind of receptacle outside where the HO cuts the main 200 amp breaker outside and back feed thru this receptacle.

Excuse my ignorance regarding this type of installation,i thought i'd ask you all first.
Thanks.

there needs to be either a transfer switch, or a breaker interlock preventing backfeeding. The HO knowing to turn the main off is not sufficient. There is more than one person in prison for manslaughter from backfeeding the utility with a generator and killing a lineman.

480sparky

there needs to be either a transfer switch, or a breaker interlock preventing backfeeding. The HO knowing to turn the main off is not sufficient. There is more than one person in prison for manslaughter from backfeeding the utility with a generator and killing a lineman.

It's also standard practice for the POCO here, during a power outage, to investigate homes running off gennies.

If they do not find a proper transfer switch, the home is disconnected and will not be reconnected until they get a notification from the AHJ that a transfer switch has been installed and inspected.

Makes for a pretty big surprise for HOs when the neighbors lights come back on, but they can't get their own panel heated up from the utility.

rich000

Here is how I do it. Some manufactures make their own interlock for their own panel. Cutler-Hammer has one built into the panel cover. Square D also makes their own. If you don't run the 240V loads, a 5000W generator will run pretty much the whole house around here (1600-2000SF).

ceb58

Anyways he don't want to spend the money for a transfer box and a fancy set up

The only other way to do it cheaper than what 480 posted, and do not know what kind of panel, but Sq D does make a bolt on plate that dose the same with the main breaker and a installed back feed breaker. You must turn off main before the plate can be slid over to close the gen. breaker.

it won't be inspected but that's not excuse, my name will be on it if i do it.

And there is the problem. Whats to say the HO will not do something stupid. Then when something happens he will point the finger at you as the electrician. If it's inspected and something happens down the road at least there is a paper trail to help cover your butt.

kbsparky

Not a receptacle box, but a flanged inlet. With a weatherproof cover if mounted outside.

Connected to an interlock kit at the breaker panel.

bradleyelectric

Here is how I do it. Some manufactures make their own interlock for their own panel. Cutler-Hammer has one built into the panel cover. Square D also makes their own. If you don't run the 240V loads, a 5000W generator will run pretty much the whole house around here (1600-2000SF).

Does anyone have a part # on a cutler distributed interlock? I don't think it is actually distributed by cutler.

electricmanscott

Does anyone have a part # on a cutler distributed interlock? I don't think it is actually distributed by cutler.

I still haven't found a CH branded one. I'd just go with one from interlock kit.com.

I've used actual GE, Sq D, Siemens, and Murray.

To the OP, no need to add another panel if the existing panel is decent.

Install a 2p 30 in the panel. From that breaker run a 10/3 rx to an inlet box. Make up a cord with a 1430p on one end and a 1430c on the other. Install interlock kit on existing panel. This is a two hour job and easy money for a legal setup.

wireguru

Manslaughter ? I think not .

did something illegal resulting in the death of another.... i know they prosecuted someone for hooking up a generator that killed a lineman -it was several years ago. ill have to try to find it. there have been quite a few lineman killed due to backfed generators in the last 5-10 years...

rich000

Yes, Cutler makes them for CH and BR. You actually buy a whole new cover. There are too many to list. Go to their website and download the "Residential Loadcenters" catalog.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you find the panel interlock does not fit your scheme or budget, you can accomplish the same thing with a subpanel containing the desired generator circuits and fed thru a double-throw safety switch.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I deleted the previous post (by Elwood), in accordance with the Forum’s rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. Although your member profile states that you are a member of this industry or of a related industry, your question makes it appear as though you are planning to perform electrical work at your own home, and your profile tells me that you are not an electrician. We are not permitted to provide “how-to” assistance to a “do-it-yourself” person.

Status
Not open for further replies.