Phone isn't ringing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

There is a difference in an ability to make something pretty and an ability to cause a reaction that makes a sale. That is a mistake often made.

Noted:

Please note that a publicist was mentioned first, if they don't know the pulse of things, I reckon they wouldn't have a job for long.

A review the OP's business plan might need to be reviewer accordingly!
Besides some quick PR, IE get the name out, well I don't know the OP's answer.

If it'll help, research here first for some quick PR/advertising type ideas.
I know that I have linked many a reference to subjects and things, said here!

Go after some new clients, run up a list of cold calls, shake the bush’s again.
Send out a flyer in the right neighborhoods and a Christmas card, birthday card or a calendar...

I came to town hired by this man for another company and another vocation, the last time I saw him, I asked how the publicist is doing?
The smile couldn’t come out fast enough!
Freelon if you like jazz, look up his wife Nina!

They have both been busy, me not so much... but I'm not in the OP's shoes... :)

bradleyelectric

Noted:

Please note that a publicist was mentioned first, if they don't know the pulse of things, I reckon they wouldn't have a job for long.

A review the OP's business plan might need to be reviewer accordingly!
Besides some quick PR, IE get the name out, well I don't know the OP's answer.

If it'll help, research here first for some quick PR/advertising type ideas.
I know that I have linked many a reference to subjects and things, said here!

Go after some new clients, run up a list of cold calls, shake the bush?s again.
Send out a flyer in the right neighborhoods and a Christmas card, birthday card or a calendar...

I came to town hired by this man for another company and another vocation, the last time I saw him, I asked how the publicist is doing?
The smile couldn?t come out fast enough!
Freelon if you like jazz, look up his wife Nina!

They have both been busy, me not so much... but I'm not in the OP's shoes... :)

All good ideas. I focused on the fact that most yellow page adds are designed by someone with no real knowledge in marketing or testing.

mivey

There is a difference in an ability to make something pretty and an ability to cause a reaction that makes a sale. That is a mistake often made.
For guaranteed calls, you could start from here:

Your Way Electric: The Quality You Deserve, At the Price You Expect

All prices available up-front and over the phone. We offer free design layouts, including detailed blueprints. You name the price and we will complete the job at your convenience. Over 150 years electrical experience.

Call: BR-549 for a free design consultation today.

satcom

I agree. phone hardley rings. Business is very bad unless you are working for a loss.
As for yellow page adds. Do not waste money or time. If you track your calls, the ones where you are making money are NOT from there.

Waste your money in the yellow pages? that kind of thinking will doom any business, yellow pages has worked well for the contractors in my area, all the ones that are busy in these hard times, are in the yellow pages, no business can move ahead and grow without an investment in quality ad's.

There are less and less contractors with ads in the yellow pages. Too many people calling for prices and wasting their time.

I think the real issue with most is the actual lack of work. The guys I know who are working, are working with repeat customers, not new people looking for ECs. These same contractors have been around for quite a while and have quite the customer base.
The other group of ECs I see who are working (not overly busy), are providing service work, and have been doing so before this economy took a nose dive. The younger contractors who came into the Contracting arena while things were good, and who did not provide service work; they are the ones either going out of business or accumulating debt trying to stay in business.

Just my thoughts based on local conversations...

AV ELECTRIC

If we could just get the general population to just do periodic maintenance on there homes and businesses like on there cars there would be a lot more work . Now the key is how can that be done Cars are required to have proper maintenance to keep there warranty in place . Maybe insurance companies could require periodic checkups and maintenance for electrical on residence to keep the owners rates lower . Well i guess its just wishful thinking this is a new economy and service is probably the best way to go for the immediate future. Everything is getting older and must be repaired or replaced without proper maintenance i guess will have to wait for the call my powers out can you come over .

laketime

Waste your money in the yellow pages? that kind of thinking will doom any business, yellow pages has worked well for the contractors in my area, all the ones that are busy in these hard times, are in the yellow pages, no business can move ahead and grow without an investment in quality ad's.

The mistake a lot of businesses make is in slow times the first thing they cut in advertising. In slow times you need to increases your advertising or you will be out of business before you know it.

Dnkldorf

Why do people assume that because a EC is not in a phone book, he is considered not successful or must of went out of business.

If I may:

The guys I know who are working, are working with repeat customers, not new people looking for ECs. These same contractors have been around for quite a while and have quite the customer base.

Priceless....

Dnkldorf

In slow times you need to increases your advertising or you will be out of business before you know it.

Not necessarily.

You need to figure out how to spend what advertising dollars you have budgeted, more effectively.

You should be able to decrease overall spending and achieve the same results, with a better plan and some better research.

satcom

Not necessarily.

You need to figure out how to spend what advertising dollars you have budgeted, more effectively.

You should be able to decrease overall spending and achieve the same results, with a better plan and some better research.

Yup that is the best way

satcom

Why do people assume that because a EC is not in a phone book, he is considered not successful or must of went out of business.

If I may:

Priceless....

They may be doing on going maint work, or have a study flow of commercial fit up work, and have no need for the phone book ad's

bradleyelectric

There are an awful lot of ways to market other then phonebook. It really depends on what your market is as to how you market to it. That would determine the usefulness of a quality phonebook add.

Cavie

How much electrical contracting do you do now?

None. I sold the business about 15 years ago and moved on to other things. Electric Inspector, Wind midigation inspector. Presently installing street light and traffic signals for a good paycheck with no hassels. Waiting on test results for Traffic Signal Inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.