zip-ties Legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys Iam woundering if it is legal to strap emt with zip-ties(cable-ties). I know under 330.30(a) they are listed for mc,but under securing emt nec just says"securely fastened".

Thanks

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

358.30 requires EMT to be securely fasted and supported but does not say the securing and supporting means needs to be listed.

Only the AHJ can approved the securing and supporting means.

IMHO, provided that the zip tie is listed for the environment and the weight of the conduit I would not have a problem with a zip tie used to secure and support EMT.

Chris

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Just out of curiosity...what will you be zip-tying the pipe to? What about the boxes, will those be screwed or bolted to the building in some way?

rclacey

I don't know if its legal or not, but it shouldn't be. Seems like complete butchery to me. One hole EMT clips are pretty darn cheap and effective.
Unless you're gonna zip tie it to a bundle of romex or CAT 5s, in that case I think its just wonderfull

hardworkingstiff

If the zip ties are holding the EMT down to a beam/joist then I don't have an issue. If the zip ties are holding the EMT up, .....well...... I'm not going to do it. Ties degrade and break, especially if under stress (like holding a conduit up).

RUWired

All the "zip tie" bags i've seen are called "cable" ties. I haven't seen one that said conduit ties.jmo

jeremysterling

Here in Austin, local code prohibits using nylon cable ties to support MC cable.

All the "zip tie" bags i've seen are called "cable" ties. I haven't seen one that said conduit ties.jmo

That has not stopped me or the AHJ from allowing cable ties to secure Greeenfield or FMC. As to the OP, I have not tried nylon cable ties on EMT because tie-wire does the job better and cheaper.

cpal

Hi guys Iam woundering if it is legal to strap emt with zip-ties(cable-ties). I know under 330.30(a) they are listed for mc,but under securing emt nec just says"securely fastened".Thanks
330.30 Securing and Supporting.
(A) General. Type MC cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings or other approved means designed and installed so as not to damage the cable.

Approved does not alyways mean listed.

e57

(A) General. Type MC cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings or other approved means designed and installed so as not to damage the cable.

I don't think any of the support methods are required to be listed???? Except for I think - KX's, or K8's.... In suspended ceilings... And I beleive that is a UL listing for the fire rating...

FWIW - I have used zip-ties in a pinch in place of metal tie wire - which I use all the time for all but NM cable... MC, EMT, RMC, ect. But for NM feeders I have put in two staples and zip-tied 2/0-3 CU to them for a whole building - why? Because the very funny minded Inspector at the time would not accept a locally more common install of insulated nail-on pipe straps - because they were called "pipe straps" on the box. (Dottie PL 40)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

We're not concerned with MC...the OP is asking about EMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.