Line to neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I am bidding a set of drawings and there is a note that says:
"Circuits supplying line to neutral loads shall have dedicated neutral"
Do they mean all receptacle and lighting circuits need to have a dedicated neutral?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
They mean that they don't want any multi-wire branch circuits, any sharing of neutrals. That would include receptacle and lighting circuits, but there may be others. For example, a circuit that supplies smoke detectors would be a line to neutral circuit.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
While I agree with the above on what this almost certainly means, I would suggest that you get this confirmed in writing. In particular, make sure that feeders to panels are permitted!!! No sane design would prohibit the use of such, but if you are bidding on an insane design you need to know it.

-Jon

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
With the new requirements in 210.4, I find a lot of folks getting away from MWBCs. They don't like the associated loss of two additional circuits when 1 trips.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
"Circuits supplying line to neutral loads shall have dedicated neutral"
That's impossible to achieve.

...there is not a "neutral" in a two wire circuit.
I believe specifications are not required to use NEC terminology. ;)

Furthermore, NEC 2008 implemented the "neutral conductor" definition. The specification as written with only the word neutral does imply a "neutral conductor".

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I believe specifications are not required to use NEC terminology. ;)

And that is a shame especially when the designers want to declare the specs to be a "legal document" :)

Furthermore, NEC 2008 implemented the "neutral conductor" definition. The specification as written with only the word neutral does imply a "neutral conductor".
And IMO this is just another case of dumbing down the code for the unqualified. ;)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.